CHICAGO (CBS) -- Chicago police are warning downtown businesses about a scammer posing as an inspector.
In the first incident, a man walked into the
He told employees he was there to inspect the carbon monoxide detectors.
The staff let him in, and gave him $170 for the bogus inspection.
Police said a similar scam happened two days later in the 100 block of North Michigan Avenue.
What you can do, according to CPD:
- Be aware of this crime and alert nearby businesses.
- Pay attention to any suspicious persons loitering in the area.
- Have and maintain a working surveillance system.
- If video surveillance is available, save a copy of the incident for Detectives.
- Call 911 immediately and provide a detailed description of any suspicious people, including any vehicle description and license plate information.
for more features.