Watch CBS News

Boy, 16, Shot And Killed By Police Officer In Homan Square

CHICAGO (CBS) -- A 16-year-old boy was shot and killed by police Monday night, after what police described as an "armed confrontation" with officers in the Homan Square neighborhood.

Pierre Loury's family was calling for justice Tuesday morning, convinced police had no justification to shoot and kill him.

"My baby is gone," Tambrasha Hudson said. "He was loving, caring. He helped me a lot with his other siblings."

According to Chicago police, Harrison District officers were on routine patrol around 7:40 p.m. Monday when they saw a car matching the description of a vehicle involved in an earlier shooting. Police said when officers tried to stop it, a young man ran out of the car, and an officer gave chase.

"A foot pursuit ensued, and during the course of that pursuit led to an armed confrontation between the offender and the officer, resulting in the officer firing shots with his service weapon," Chicago Police Chief of Detectives Eugene Roy said.

Pierre was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where he was pronounced dead less than an hour later.

Witnesses said Pierre was shot while he was jumping over a fence.

Police said a gun was recovered at the scene, but his mother disputed that.

"No, he didn't have a gun, but they saying he did after the fact," Hudson said.

Relatives gathered at Pierre's home Tuesday morning, still trying to make sense of the shooting.

"We just want justice, that's it; point blank, period. We don't want no money. We don't want nothing. We want the corruption to stop," said his stepfather, Vantrese Frazier.

Pierre, a junior at Community Christian Alternative Academy, lived two blocks away on Grenshaw. He was the oldest son of six children.

"It's just wrong. I don't care how y'all try to dice up whatever, or y'all try to come with this story that the officer did this, if he was in a car that was just in whatever. I don't care. He did not deserve to lose his life over this," said Pierre's cousin, Tameka Wilson.

Deputy Police Superintendent John Escalante said Loury was prior contact with police.

"We do have him as a documented gang member," Escalante said.

Family members couldn't hold back tears at a vigil Tuesday night. Loved ones released balloons and lit candles in Pierre's memory.

After the vigil, dozens took to the streets calling for justice while plenty of Chicago Police patrolled the protest. Demonstrators caused traffic disruptions.

The officer who shot Pierre was not wearing a body camera. That officer has been placed on desk duty for 30 days while the Independent Police Review Authority investigates.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.