Watch CBS News

Space Heater Starts Townhouse Fire In Montgomery County, Officials Say

GAITHERSBURG, Md. (WJZ) -- A space heater is to blame for a fire in Montgomery County, according to officials.

Officials say it happened late Wednesday night at a townhome on Bayridge Drive in Gaithersburg.

The space heater in the basement bedroom caused bedsheets to catch fire, officials say.


By the time crews arrived, the first floor had collapsed.

A man had to be rescued from the basement and is now hospitalized with significant burns, according to officials.

Another person was also hurt but is expected to be okay. Several others were able to safely escape but are now without a home.

The fire caused over $500,000 in damage.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.