Watch CBS News

Baltimore's Public Enemy No. 1 Arrested In Elderly Shooting

BALTIMORE (WJZ) -- Baltimore's Public Enemy No. 1 -- wanted for shooting two innocent senior citizens -- is behind bars after being captured hundreds of miles away.

Ava-joye Burnett with more on how authorities nabbed the suspect.

The shooting caused so much outrage, people flooded police with tips. Now the suspect is behind bars.

Carl Cooper -- Public Enemy No. 1 in Baltimore -- found 360 miles south in Fayetteville, North Carolina.

A community on edge can now breathe, knowing the man accused of shooting two senior citizens is off the streets.

"They're elderly people. They didn't deserve to be shot," said Shaquiah Allen.

"It's sad that this gun play is going on in Baltimore as it is, and it really needs to stop," said Conrad Gaines.

It all started February 22 when 92-year-old Martha Gilliard and her 82-year-old brother, Hogan McGill -- just out to get lunch -- were both shot in the leg in the Walbrook Junction area.

Surveillance captured Cooper running away from the scene. A week and a half later, authorities finally caught up with him.

Police would not give specific details on exactly where in Fayetteville Carl Cooper was captured, but they said tips and good police work helped the U.S. Marshals capture Public Enemy No. 1.

"The 12th man of Baltimore stepped up again -- our community -- and we wouldn't have caught him without our community," said Baltimore Police Commissioner Kevin Davis.

Cooper was no stranger to the law. In 1995, he pleaded guilty to assault with intent to murder, rape and robbery. He was also indicted in 2000 on first-degree assault and attempted first-degree murder charges.

As police start the extradition process, many are still angry that two innocent bystanders got caught up in Baltimore's gun violence.

"That was very low. How can you go down that low?" said Allen.

The elderly siblings have been released from the hospital. Their families released the following statement:

"The McGill and Gilliard families are again thankful to everyone for their support. We are grateful to the Baltimore City Police Department as a whole and especially the officers and detectives who worked diligently on this case. We also want to thank each and every person who offered the countless numbers of tips for the police to be able to successfully name a suspect.   This process has been both physically and mentally challenging for all involved. Now we look to the justice system to do its work. But we also pray the suspect gets the help that is required. 

If Cooper fights extradition, it could be days or even weeks before he's back in Baltimore.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.