BALTIMORE (WJZ) -- Rep. Kweisi Mfume responded Monday to President Donald Trump's latest tweets about Baltimore, saying Republican Kimberly Klacik and the president "deserve each other."
In a statement Monday morning, the congressman urged President Trump to focus less on bashing Baltimore and more on the current coronavirus pandemic.
"Donald Trump and my opponent are two of a kind. They love each other, but more importantly they deserve each other. Mr. Trump will soon find out that he can't tell the people of Baltimore City, Baltimore County or Howard County how to vote, or who to vote for. Instead of Baltimore bashing how about showing a little leadership in the middle of a pandemic Mr. President... Now tweet that!" Mfume said.
Over three tweets Sunday morning, the president urged voters in the 7th congressional district, which also includes portions of Baltimore and Howard counties, to elect Republican Kimberly Klacik this fall.
"Be smart Baltimore! You have been ripped off for years by the Democrats, & gotten nothing but poverty & crime. It will only get worse UNLESS YOU ELECT KIMBERLY KLACIK TO CONGRESS. She brings with her the power & ECONOMIC STRENGTH OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY," Trump tweeted in part.
The latest war of words led a group of Klacik supporters to hold a rally. One of the attendees, Chuck Linton, said Trump and Klacik are the only ones telling the truth about the city.
Linton, a veteran, was also featured in a viral ad from Klacik's campaign last month.
Some Baltimoreans, though, agreed with Mfume.
"I will not let Donald Trump or anybody else downgrade my city," one man said.
- President Trump Endorses Kimberly Klacik In Race For Maryland's 7th Congressional District Seat
- Kimberly Klacik's New Ad Draws National Attention For 7th District Race, But A Johns Hopkins Political Scientist Says Odds Are Still Long For Republican Win
- In RNC Speech, Kimberly Klacik Takes Aim At Democrats: 'We're Not Buying The Lies Anymore'
- President Donald Trump Criticizes Rep. Elijah Cummings, Calls Maryland's 7th District A 'Disgusting Rat, Rodent Infested Mess'
- WJZ FACT CHECK: Is Baltimore's Murder Rate Higher Than Central American Countries'?
- More Coverage
The president and local leaders exchanged words last year on Twitter as well after Klacik tweeted videos that led Trump to call the city "a disgusting, rat and rodent infested mess."
for more features.