Watch CBS News

SFO Reopens After Korean Jet Crash; Many Flights Diverted, Cancelled

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS) -- Two runways have reopened at San Francisco International Airport. SFO issued the message on Twitter at about 3:30 p.m..

Passengers were advised to check with their airlines for updated arrival and departure information. SFO's website was shut down due to high volume traffic.

San Francisco airport officials tweeted shortly before 5 p.m., "Fluid situation. Working fast 2 open all runways. 2 runways already opened. Pls check with your airline for info on tomorrow's flights."

SFO was closed following a crash involving an Asiana Airlines jet inbound from Korea that killed 2 people and injured dozens more.

Continuing Coverage of Asiana Flight 214 | Listen LIVE: KCBS Coverage | Photo Gallery: Plane Crash at SFO

The Boeing 777 was coming into San Francisco from Seoul, South Korea, when it crash-landed on runway 28L at about 11:30 a.m.

Incoming flights were being diverted to San Jose Mineta, Oakland, Sacramento and Los Angeles. Travelers are advised to check with their airlines before coming to the airport. Those who are picking up passengers should contact the airlines, as well.

As of 3:00 p.m. PST, more than 230 flights were canceled.

San Jose airport spokeswoman Rosemary Barnes said 27 flights were diverted there, and that the airport was able to absorb them without disrupting other air traffic.

She said at about 3:45 p.m. that some of the flights were still on the tarmac awaiting word on whether they would be able to continue to San Francisco or whether to let passengers off in San Jose.

Barnes said the airport and airlines are assisting passengers in getting to their final destinations.

"We'll all work together, everybody will find a way home," she said.

Mineta San Jose is able to accommodate all aircraft with the exception of the Airbus A380, she said.

The crash also prompted SFO air traffic controllers to divert 11 airlines to Oakland International Airport and other flights to airports in Sacramento and Los Angeles, according to Oakland airport spokesman Brian Kidd.

Four of the airlines rerouted to Oakland were international flights, Kidd said.

Other flights scheduled to take off for SFO were grounded in their departure cities after SFO temporarily closed its runways, Kidd said.

The National Transportation Safety Board is the lead federal investigative agency into the crash and the Federal Aviation Administration is conducting its own investigation, FAA spokeswoman Laura Brown said.

Redwood City resident Thomas Shoebotham's Lufthansa flight to SFO from Frankfurt, Germany, which was scheduled to land at 12:20 p.m., was initially diverted to Oakland and held there until it was able to continue on to San Francisco.

As of 5:30 p.m., his plane had arrived at its gate, but the passengers were being told they couldn't yet disembark because customs wasn't yet ready to process them. They had been on the plane for more than 15 hours, including the 10-hour flight time, he said.

"We're still on the plane," he said in a brief interview on his cellphone.

Shoebotham, music director for the Palo Alto Philharmonic Orchestra, was coming back from a summer trip to Europe with the El Camino Youth Symphony.

He said passengers are able to stand up and stretch and have been patient for the most part.

"Nobody's threatened to kill anyone yet," he said.

However, he noted a while later that the use of foul language had increased dramatically and that one passenger had gotten into an argument with a flight attendant.

There was no word on when they would be let off the aircraft, and restless members of the youth symphony-who Shoebotham said were extremely well behaved-- were considering playing their instruments to pass the time.

Longtime San Francisco resident Barbara Malinowski was flying to SFO from South Carolina via Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport and had her American Airlines flight diverted to San Jose.

She said things went much more smoothly than she expected.

"I'm so impressed. Kudos to San Jose International for the way they handled this," Malinowski said. "I really thought we'd be on the runway waiting for a gate ... I thought we'd be there for hours."

The passengers were quickly let off the plane and by the time she collected her luggage, there were buses ready to take them to SFO.

"We were supposed to land at 12:30 and got to SFO with bags," Malinowski said.

(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.