Watch CBS News

Police Remove Protesters From Occupied San Francisco Building

SAN FRANCISCO (KCBS) - Dozens of people were arrested early Wednesday as police officers in riot gear raided a vacant building owned by the Catholic archdiocese of San Francisco occupied during May Day protests Tuesday.

At least 26 people were arrested for trespassing, according to police. Three people were later released, including a news reporter.

Officers moved in on the building at 888 Turk Street and Gough after arriving shortly before 5 a.m. Their presence appeared heavy as they surrounded the building and took to the rooftop. The protesters removals appeared peaceful.

An Occupy SF supporter, who was communicating with media, said as of 3 a.m., 38 people, several described as homeless, were inside.

About 200 people took over the building a day earlier, with two men on adjacent rooftops at one point throwing pipes and bricks at a line of police officers. One person, 34-year-old Jesse Nesbitt, was arrested on suspicion of felony aggravated assault.

The building has been targeted in previous protests.

[ Occupy May Day | Oakland ]
[ Occupy May Day | SF ]

Among those let go by police Wednesday included a man in a wheelchair who said he was prepared to be arrested and wasn't sure why he was randomly let go.

He said things inside were peaceful and that the occupiers were rousted from their sleep to be arrested.

50 more protesters were supposed to show up at 8 a.m. to replace the people inside who apparently didn't want to be arrested. But that plan never materialized.

Turk and Gough streets were shutdown and traffic for the early morning commute was affected.

KCBS, CBS 5, and SF Chronicle Insider Phil Matier reports:

(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)


View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.