Watch CBS News

Family Says 4-Year-Old Oakland Boy Shot In Head Is Awake, Out Of ICU

OAKLAND (CBS SF) - The family of an East Oakland boy who accidentally shot himself in the head after finding a gun says he is awake and out of the ICU.

Four-year-old Navaun Jackson's family says the boy is now off life support and is getting therapy five days a week at Children's Hospital Oakland.

Navaun is now able to move his legs and arms. His mother Brijjanna Price says it a miracle.

"They said he'd be brain dead and wouldn't walk again, but my son is up there moving feet, moving his head, getting mad when we turn the TV," Price said.

Cellphone video shows the boy responding to voices, but not yet speaking. He still has to use a wheelchair. His mother says the breakthrough happened when she started talking in his ear about food.

"My son is a big food fan, no matter what and he started moving his head.  Then my daughter came up ... he tried to get out the hospital with her. 'I'm going, I'm not dealing with this, I'm going with my sister.'"

Doctors tell the family it will be a long recovery.

Terrence Wilson was arrested after the shooting.

READ MORE: Man Arrested After Oakland Boy Shot In Head

Wilson said he had slept with the gun under the pillow the previous night, and forgotten to remove it when he woke up late to take his children to school, according to a probable cause statement. Price said she knew there was a gun in the house, but did not know where it was kept.

According to the probable cause statement, Wilson told police he purchased the gun on the street in San Francisco two weeks before and was aware he was not allowed to have a firearm.

The statement also says Wilson has prior convictions for second-degree burglary and conspiracy to commit a crime in Stanislaus County in 2003, and three felony convictions for insurance fraud and grand theft in Stockton the same year. The convictions make him ineligible for probation under the state's "three-strikes" law.

The probable cause statement says Wilson also told police he was familiar with the gun's safety mechanisms, but had left the trigger unlocked after losing its keys. Police later determined the gun had been reported stolen.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.