SAN JOSE – Two Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA) mechanics were sent to the hospital Friday after an electric transit bus caught fire at a maintenance yard in San Jose Friday afternoon.
According to VTA officials, the bus was at the agency's Cerone bus yard on Zanker Road for repairs when the bus caught fire. There were no passengers on board.
Officials said mechanics tried to put the fire out, but were forced to push the bus out of the building after the attempts failed. Nearby employees were evacuated before emergency responders put out the flames.
Two mechanics who tried to put the fire out suffered smoke inhalation and were taken to a local hospital for treatment. The bus was damaged beyond repair, officials said.
According to the VTA, the bus was among 10 battery electric Proterra buses in the agency's fleet. In response, the remaining electric buses were taken out of service pending an investigation of the fire.
VTA officials said Friday afternoon that employees at the bus yard have since returned to their work stations.
Proterra, a Burlingame-based company,. The company said at the time that it intends to maintain normal operations.
for more features.