SALISBURY, North Carolina (CBS SF) - A second gang member wanted in the 2008 murders of a San Francisco man and his two sons has been captured in North Carolina, authorities said.
31-year-old Wifredo "Flaco" Reyes was arrested Monday following a tip from an Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent, according to 1st Lt. Chad Moose with the Rowan County, NC Sheriff's Office.
San Francisco Police homicide investigators and Rowan County sheriff's deputies teamed up with ICE agents to locate Reyes, who police said is an MS-13 gang member, at a home in Salisbury to make the arrest.
KCBS' Chris Filippi Reports:
As officers approached Reyes he attempted to flee from a window but was discouraged by detectives and arrested inside the residence without incident, said Moose.
Another man, 25-year-old Jose Antonio Mejia, was also arrested at the scene for harboring a fugitive and cocaine possesion, said Moose. Mejia is also an alleged MS-13 gang member and an undocumented citizen from El Salvador, according to Moose.
Reyes was wanted in the shooting deaths of 49-year-old Tony Bologna and his two sons, Michael, 20, and Matthew, 16, as they drove through San Francisco''s Excelsior District in 2008.
25-year-old alleged gang member Edwin Ramos was found guilty of the murders in May and sentenced last month to three life terms without possibility of parole. Prosecutors said Ramos shot the Bolognas after mistaking them for rival gang members and that the killings were in retaliation for a shooting that injured another MS-13 member.
The case gained national notoriety because of San Francisco's sanctuary policy which shielded undocumented minors facing charges from federal immigration authorities.
Ramos, who moved to the U.S. as a teen and remained in the country on an expired visa from El Salvador, was never reported to immigration officials despite multiple run-ins with police as a minor.
The city has since changed its policy, and was sued by the Bologna family. A judge later threw out the lawsuit.
During Ramos's trial, defense lawyers said Reyes was the one who fired the shots from the car Ramos was driving and that Ramos did not know Reyes was going to shoot at the Bolognas.
Reyes was being held without bail and pending his extradition to San Francisco.
Marti McKee, a spokeswoman for the Bologna family, said they were overjoyed at the news of Reyes' arrest.
"They are extremely happy and relieved that finally both individuals are behind bars that were responsible for the murders of Tony, Michael and Matthew," McKee said.
The Bolognas, who remain in witness protection, include Danielle, the mother and wife of the victims, and Andrew Bologna, who was in the car when his father and brothers were killed and testified during Ramos' trial.
San Francisco District Attorney George Gascon released a statement Monday afternoon, saying, "Today I share this major development with members of the Bologna family, who have suffered so much since the tragic murders of Tony, Michael and Matthew.
"We are one step closer to bringing this individual to justice for his heinous crimes.
Once the extradition process is complete, we will prosecute this case to the fullest extent of the law," Gascon said.
He said Reyes will be charged with three counts of murder, one count of conspiracy to commit murder, one count of attempted murder and gang allegations.
(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
for more features.