crimesider

Way-Too-Hot Sauce Hurt Our Son, Say Parents Suing Tenn. Steak 'n Shake

(CBS/AP)
Way-Too-Hot Sauce Hurt Our Son, Say Parents Suing Tenn. Steak 'n Shake
(CBS/AP)

CLEVELAND, Tennessee (CBS/AP) There's a red-hot lawsuit in southeast Tennessee. A Steak 'n Shake restaurant is being sued by a couple who claim the place served their son a hot sauce that sent him to the hospital.

Tim and Mary Katherine Gann say a restaurant server gave their minor child a bottle of Blair's Mega Death Sauce for his chili and encouraged him to eat some. When he did, he broke out in hives, had trouble breathing and suffered severe pain.

The lawsuit seeks $10,000 in compensation and $50,000 punitive damages.

A spokeswoman for the franchise owner said Thursday the company wasn't commenting.

The brand isn't customarily served by the chain, according to a local newspaper. Mega Death's maker warns that it's "500 times hotter than a jalapeno."