(CBS News) Peter Jackson may be making another visit to Middle Earth.
The director is in talks with Warner Bros. to turn his two-film adaptation of "The Hobbit" into a trilogy, according to reports.
Jackson teased the idea at Comic-Con earlier this month, telling the crowd he wants to shoot more footage. "There's other parts of the story that we'd like to tell that we haven't been able to tell yet," he said, according to Entertainment Weekly.
EW reports that "serious discussions" are taking place to explore the possibility of turning "The Hobbit" into a trilogy. Sources told the Hollywood Reporter that those talks are said to have accelerated in recent days, and that Warner Bros. is on board if the right financial arrangements can be made (which includes securing new deals with the film's cast).
The first installment, titled "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," will be released on Dec. 14. The second film, "There and Back Again," is scheduled to hit theaters on Dec. 13, 2014.
Tell us: Do you think a third "Hobbit" film should be made?