(CBS News) Chef Doug Psaltis got his start in his grandfather's Greek diner at the ripe old age of 10 years old lugging bags of potatoes.
The chef is self taught and didn't attend culinary school, but in 2007 Starchefs honored him with its Rising Star Chef award. He wrote "Seasoning of a Chef" in 2005 with his twin brother, Michael Pstaltis, who is a culinary agent.
After stints at some of the country's finest restaurants, he landed in Chicago, where he is chef and partner at RPM Italian and the recently opened Bub City.
RPM Italian is partnered with Giuliana and Bill Rancic as well as the Melman Brothers. They will open RPM Steak in 2014.
He shared his ultimate dish, smoked pork shoulder with potato salad and grilled corn salad, on "CBS This Morning: Saturday."
Smoked Pork Shoulder
1 8-10 lbs Heritage pork shoulder
1/2 cup paprika
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup kosher salts
1/4 cup cumin
1/4 cup mustard powder
1. Rub the pork shoulder generously with all the spices.
2. Place in smoker at 225 degrees and smoke for 8-9 hours.
3. Remove from smoker and serve with large fork and spoon.
4 lbs red bliss potatoes, cooked in salted water, cooled and cubed
2 ribs celery, diced
4 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp salt, or to taste
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine potatoes, celery, and onions.
2. In another bowl combine the rest of the ingredients.
3. Pour over potatoes and mix well. Taste for seasoning.
4. Refrigerate the potato salad at least 2 hours before serving for best results.
Grilled Corn Salad
3 limes, juiced
Coarse salt to taste
Fresh ground pepper to taste
6 ears of corn; husks and silks removed
3 cups cherry tomatoes; stemmed and halved
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 lb cojita cheese, diced
1. Prepare a medium-hot fire in a grill.
2. Place the corn on grill, turning the ears often so they cook evenly, until lightly charred, about 10 minutes.
3. Steady each ear of corn on a cutting board and, using a sharp knife, cut down along the cob to strip off the kernels.
4. Put the kernels in a large bowl.
5. Add the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, cheese and the lime juice and toss to coat evenly.
6. Transfer the salad to a platter.
Zanes Baked Beans
1 medium onion, medium diced
2 tablespoons canola oil
4 cups cooked chili beans
1 teaspoon jalapeno, minced
1/2 cup Bub City KC BBQ Sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons Coleman's dry mustard powder
3 tablespoons ketchup
1/3 cup apple juice
1 1/2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1. In a heavy bottom sauce pot over medium heat, add the oil. Once the oil is hot add in the diced onion and cook until caramelized. Stir the onions to prevent them from burning.
2. Once the onions are caramelized, add in the minced jalapeno. Sautee for 1 minute.
3. Add in the cooked chili beans with their liquid, BBQ sauce, brown sugar, cracked pepper, dry mustard powder, ketchup and apple juice.
4. Let the beans come up to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes. The juice from the beans should reduce.
5. Add in the yellow mustard to finish.
6. Taste and season with salt and black pepper if needed.
7. Reserve until needed.
Cucumber and Tomato Salad
2 whole seedless cucumbers, scored and sliced into 1/4 in rounds
2 cups sugar
2 cups white vinegar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 medium ripe tomato, cut into large dice
1. Score the cucumber down each side with a vegetable zester.
2. Using a mandoline, slice the cucumber into 1/4 rounds.
3. In a bowl, whisk together the sugar, salt, black pepper and white vinegar.
4. Add the cucumber to the brine. Cover and place into the refrigerator for 4 hours. The cucumber can stay in the brine for a week.
5. When ready to serve, slice the tomato into a large dice, season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Drain the cucumbers.
7. In a bowl, mix the cucumber and tomatoes together and serve.
Strawberry Angel Food Cake
1 Large angel food cake
1 (8oz) Package of Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
1 (14 oz) Can of sweetened condensed milk
1 cup heavy cream whipped
1 cup strawberry jam
2 cups fresh strawberries cut in halves or quarters
1. Slice cake, using serrated knife horizontally into 3 equal layers
2. Mix together cream cheese & condensed milk. Fold in whipped cream.
3. Mix together jam and cut fresh strawberries.
4. Place 1 layer of cake in the bottom of a clear bowl.
5. Top with strawberries then a layer of custard. Repeat with each layer.
Gold Rush Cocktail
2 oz bourbon
0.75 oz lemon juice
1 oz honey syrup
1. To make the honey syrup: mix one part honey with two parts hot water. Stir.
2. To make the drink: combine all the ingredients in a shaker full of ice, shake the hell out of it, and strain into a cocktail glass.