Watch CBS News

SWAT team kills 107-year-old Arkansas man in shootout

Updated 4:08 p.m. ET

A 107-year-old man was killed during a shootout with members of an Arkansas SWAT team Saturday evening.

In a statement to CBS affiliate KTHV-TV in Little Rock, the Pine Bluff Police Department say the incident occurred after officers responded to a disturbance.

Upon arrival, police found an "Aggravated Assault" against two people had occurred. The pair were evacuated from the home for their own safety, according to The Associated Press. Officers approached a bedroom to look for the 107-year-old, Monroe Isadore.

Police say that when they approached the bedroom where Isadore was hiding and announced their presence, he shot at them. Backup was called in, as well as a SWAT team, and further negotiations failed to get Isadore to turn himself in, according to police.

A small camera determined Isadore was armed with a handgun inside the bedroom.

Then, the police statement claims: "S.W.A.T. inserted gas into the room, after it was evident negotiations were unsuccessful, in hopes Isadore would surrender peacefully. When the gas was inserted into the room, Isadore fired rounds at the S.W.A.T. officers that had inserted the gas from outside a bedroom window.

"Shortly afterwards, a S.W.A.T. entry team, inside the residence, breached the door to the bedroom and threw a distraction device into the bedroom. Isadore then began to fire on the entry team and the entry team engaged Isadore, killing him."

It is not clear what gas or distraction device was inserted into the room Isadore was holed up in, nor his roll in the alleged aggravated assault. Police have also not clarified how exactly negotiations with Isadore, who was allegedly alone in the bedroom, failed. They have not issued any further statement to local media so far.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.