The fire, north of Los Angeles near the Bouquet Reservoir, was 70 percent contained Monday, said Pat Boss, a spokesman for the U.S. Forest Service.
"It laid down quite a bit last night. We had a higher humidity, and lower temperature," he said Monday.
Diane Thompson of CBS-station KNX-AM reports full containment of the fire is expected by Tuesday night, not Monday as earlier reported. However, favorable weather could move that up.
The fire came within seven miles of the Saugus area of Santa Clarita, but officials said nearby homes were not in danger.
A shelter for evacuees was set up over the weekend, but when only four people showed up, it was shut down.
"There is no threat," said Gary Wise, supervising fire dispatcher for the Los Angeles County Fire Department. "It's just rugged terrain."
Some 800 firefighters were battling the fire, watching the wind.
Tents, fire trucks and big rig trucks dot Central Park in nearby Saugus, indicating the firefighters are staying a little longer than expected.
Two private contractors providing support to firefighters suffered minor injuries Sunday, Los Angeles County Fire Capt. Brian Jordan said. One man suffered first-degree burns during a fueling operation and the other person was injured while setting up base camp, he said.
The fast-moving fire erupted Saturday morning and spread to both sides of Bouquet Canyon, feeding on dry brush in the hilly terrain north of Santa Clarita, 22 miles north of Los Angeles. The cause was not known. Conditions had been unusually dry, with the area 11 inches under normal rainfall levels.
About 150 people were voluntarily evacuated Saturday from 110 small recreation cabins, but by Sunday most people had returned to the area.