If you are traveling by air, check ahead on parking availability and cost. The endless construction has limited parking at some airports:
- Know where your plane originated. Bad weather in some areas could cause unexpected delays in other sections of the country, where the weather is perfect for traveling.
- Know which other carriers fly to your destination. Depending on why your plane has been canceled or delayed, you may be able to hop onto another airline instead.
- Fly into major airports and drive the rest of the way. Many delays come at smaller airports.
- Watch the size of your carry-on bags. Many airlines recently have limited the size of such bags and if yours is too big, you will have to check it.
If you are traveling by train:
- Buy your ticket in advance or make a reservation.
- Get to the station early.
- Check on the weather at your destination.
If you are traveling by car:
- Leave early and stay late.
- Plan ahead. Know your route and have an alternate route in the event of heavy traffic.
- Make sure your car is in top condition.
- Take your time. Don't speed or take shortcuts you're not sure of.
- Don't tailgate. Truck drivers, especially, can't see a car behind them.
- Be careful driving near or passing trucks. Truck drivers have several blind spots and trucks can't slow down as quickly as autos.
- Take breaks often. Stop at a safe rest area for 15 to 20 minutes every few hours.