Report: "Threateners" end Pitt bomb claim saga

Students and faculty line up with visitors to get through a security checkpoint to enter the Cathedral of Learning on the University of Pittsburgh campus, on Tuesday, April 10, 2012 in Pittsburgh. Dozens of bomb threats at the University of Pittsburgh over the past two months, including at least four on Monday, April 9, have students on edge, and the school has set up security checkpoints at building entrances and even offered a $50,000 reward for information leading to an arrest.
AP Photo/Keith Srakocic

(CBS/AP) PITTSBURGH - An emailed statement claiming responsibility for some of the bomb threats against the University of Pittsburgh said the threats have ended after the school withdrew its $50,000 reward offer.

The Pitt News reports it received the email signed by "The Threateners" on Saturday night, the same day the school removed information about the reward from its website.

But the group claimed only responsibility for threats since March 30 — weeks after they started in mid-February.

Another wave of bomb threats at U. of Pittsburgh
Dozens of bomb threats rattle the University of Pittsburgh

The student paper reported the demand to drop the reward offer was included in an email it received Friday. Saturday's email said the group's only demand had been met.

CBS Station KDKA reported on Saturday that the $50,000 reward (which had been upped from $10,000) had been withdrawn, with no explanation from the university.

A Pitt spokesman confirmed Monday the reward was withdrawn but declined further comment.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports the demand in Friday's email reiterated a demand made in a threat it received earlier.