Watch CBSN Live

Renisha McBride Update: Theodore Wafer, Mich. homeowner, charged with second-degree murder, manslaughter in teen's shooting death

Updated 12:06 p.m.

(CBS) - Prosecutors announced Friday morning that they have charged Theodore P. Wafer with second degree murder and manslaughter in the death of Renisha McBride early on Nov. 2 in Dearborn Heights, Mich.

PICTURES: Renisha McBride Killed

McBride, 19, was killed by a shotgun blast to the face on Wafer's front porch. Wafer reportedly told police he thought McBride was trying to break into his house, but according to a press release from Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy, there were no signs of forced entry at the home.Wafer is scheduled to be arraigned at 2 p.m. Friday at 20th District Court in Dearborn Heights before Mark J. Plawecki.

A toxicology report released Thursday indicated McBride had a .218 blood alcohol level at the time of her death, more than twice the legal limit for driving. At Friday's press conference, Worthy said she did not believe Wafer had been tested for drugs or alcohol after the shooting, according to CBS Detroit.

Wafer also faces a felony firearms charge. CBS News' Crimesider left a message requesting comment with Wafer's attorney, Cheryl Carpenter.

According to the prosecutor's press release,  McBride was driving a white Ford sedan when she hit a parked car in Dearborn Heights at about 12:57 a.m.

"McBride was observed to have blood on her body and appeared to be disoriented when she left the scene on foot," the statement reads.

At 4:42 a.m. police received a 911 call reporting a fatal shooting at a home about half a mile from the scene of the accident. Once on the scene, police "observed the lifeless body of Ms. McBride in the front porch area of the defendant's house."

The statement continues: "McBride was found with a large gunshot wound to her face. It is alleged that Ms. McBride was unarmed when she was shot by the defendant as she knocked on the front screen door of the house. There were no signs of forced entry at the location."

Gerald Thurswell, the attorney representing McBride's family, told Crimesider on Thursday that he thought the fact McBride was intoxicated when she was shot "probably makes her less of a physical threat to anybody."

"The bottom line in this whole case is that he was in his house, the door is locked, he has a phone," said Thurswell of the homeowner. "All he had to do was call 911. Maybe she would have been arrested because she was drunk - but she'd be alive."

Complete coverage of the Renisha McBride case on Crimesider

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome browser logo Chrome Safari browser logo Safari Continue