Quake Victims Getting Impatient

A Babylonian clay foundation cone, ca. 2100 BC, is displayed at the Iraqi Ministry of foreign Affairs in Baghdad, Iraq, Tuesday, Sept. 7, 2010. Hundreds of Iraqi artifacts looted from museums and archaeological sites across the country have been returned to Iraq. The display is part of Iraqi efforts to repatriate its looted cultural heritage. (AP Photo/Karim Kadim)
Indonesia's government acknowledged Thursday it has been slow in delivering food and water to victims of the nation's latest massive earthquake, as rescuers pulled survivors and bodies out of rubble on two islands.

The government lowered its estimated death toll to between 400 and 500 people from an earlier estimate of 1,000; the United Nations, meanwhile, raised its toll to 624.

"There's still no electricity available, and lanterns are in short supply. So many residents are relying on candles for light," says CBS News Reporter Celia Hatton, who visited the island of Nias Thursday, hard hit by Monday night's 8.7-magnitude quake. "Most people are also terrified of sleeping indoors, for fear that aftershocks might topple more buildings, so they're choosing to sleep in makeshift tents."

Survivors said they were going hungry, but in signs of hope, rescuers pulled a 13-year-old girl alive from a collapsed five-story building, and a group of 11 Western surfers missing since the quake were found alive by a search helicopter. A baby girl was also born in a makeshift hospital.

Indonesia's president visited the remote island, which bore the brunt of the earthquake in the same Indian Ocean region where an even-larger quake three months earlier triggered Asia's tsunami catastrophe.

While touring Gunung Sitoli, President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono and his wife Kristiani Herawati were confronted by two young girls who wept uncontrollably. One said she had lost her siblings while the other said her father died.

Looking distressed, Herawati stroked one child's head and said: "Be patient, we will help you."

Hatton had a similar experience.

"At one point, while walking on the island, we came across some women who were crying loudly and hugging each other in the street," she reports. "We quickly understood why they were so upset: They were standing in front of a Buddhist temple, where the bodies of the earthquake victims were being gathered. The women had lost their mother, and no one could stop their tears."

Gunung Sitoli remained without power and running water Thursday, as islanders and rescuers frantically searched through destroyed buildings for survivors, bodies and belongings. Aftershocks continued to rattle the area.

Under a tarp on the grounds of a mosque, Yusman Gule had no water to mix with his meager dried food, so he fed 6-year-old daughter Yumni with just the powder. She lost an ear, broke an arm and badly squashed her fingers in the quake but still managed to smile.

"Don't leave us here to die," the father said. "It's difficult to find food. All we can do is beg."