Watch CBSN Live

Protect Pets From Poison Plants

Spring and summer are times when people buy new houseplants and plant new gardens.

And yet, many beautiful botanicals can harm or even kill your pet.

So on The Saturday Early Show, resident veterinarian Debbye Turner, explains the dangers some of these plants pose and offers advice on what to do if you catch your pet snacking on a poisonous plant.

The following is list of highly, moderately, and mildly poisonous plants:

Very Poisonous

  • Castor Bean
  • Water Hemlock
  • Cherry Yew
  • Easter Lily - Affects cats more than dogs
  • Oleander

Moderately Poisonous
  • Dumbcane
  • Rhubarb
  • Azalea

Mildly Poisonous
  • English Ivy
  • Poinsettia
  • St. Johnswort

If for some reason your pet ingests a poisonous plant, you can call the National Animal Poison Control Center, a division of the American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals at (888) 426-4435. Just have your credit card ready; a consultation fee may be applied.

You will be asked for your name, address, and telephone number; the species, breed, age, sex, and weight of each animal affected; the substance the animal ingested if known; the package containing the substance if available; the time that has elapsed since ingestion; and the symptoms the animal is showing.

Here are common symptoms your pet may experience:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Salivation
  • Respiratory Distress
  • Convulsions
View CBS News In