CBS News Up to The Minute anchor Melissa McDermott discussed the Preconception Checklist for potential parents with Dr. F. Sessions Cole. Dr. Cole is the Director of the Division of Newborn Medicine at St. Louis Children's Hospital and Professor of Pediatrics at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, Missouri. He is an expert in neonatal care and one of several physicians to identify the genetic defect that causes a fatal lung disorder. That knowledge led to a way to test for the disorder in newborns.
PRECONCEPTION CHECKLIST FOR MOTHERS
1) Control your weight.
2) Stop smoking, avoid second-hand smoke
3) Stop drinking alcohol or taking recreational drugs.
4) Discuss prescription drugs with doctor
5) Start taking pre-natal vitamins
6) Check out your immunity to Rubella, German Measles and Chicken Pox
7) Find out your HIV and Hepatitis B status
8) Know your blood type.
9) Know your family history.
PRECONCEPTION CHECKLIST FOR FATHERS
1) Stop smoking, avoid second-hand smoke.
2) Stop drinking alcohol and taking recreational drugs.
3) Discuss prescription drugs you're taking with doctor
4) Discuss your workplace toxic exposure risk(s) with doctor.
5) Know your HIV status and Hepatitis B status.
6) Know your blood type
7) Know your family history.