They ain't the Oscars, but the VH1 Fashion Awards, handed out in New York over the weekend, brought out such stars as Madonna, Janet Jackson, and Chris Rock.
|Claudia Schiffer (CBS)|
DeGeneres was more outspoken: "I don't know who they are... They get a free ticket every day, being beautiful, and then we reward them on top of that. It's not necessary."
But, everyone agreed the event was all about the marriage of fashion and rock 'n' roll.
"Especially with music being so visual nowadays," commented Janet Jackson. "People always expect you to walk out of the house and look great, which isn't always the case, especially for myself."
|Chris Rock (CBS)|
Whatever his training, it paid off. Rock went home a winner.
The winners of the 1998 VH1 Fashion Awards are:
- Women's Wear Designer of the Year: Marc Jacobs
- Men's Wear Designer of the Year: Prada
- Best New Designer: Veronique Branquinho
- Best Avant Garde Designer: Alexander McQueen
- Female Model of the Year: Carolyn Murphy
- Male Model of the Year: Scott Barnhill
- Photographer of the Year: Steven Meisel
- Best Personal Style - Female: (Awarded to a female celebrity who displays an outstanding sense of individual style): Cameron Diaz
- Best Personal Style - Male/: (Awarded to a male celebrity who displays an outstanding sense of individual style): Chris Rock
- Most Fashionable Artist: Madonna
- Most Stylish Music Video: : Janet Jackson, Got 'Til It's Gone; Mark Romanek, director, and David Bradshaw and Kim Bowen, stylists
Winners were selected by the larger "VH1 Fashion Awards Voting Body," a group of 150 fashion and music professionals. The program, hosted by Ellen DeGeneres, was taped for broadcast on VH1 on Tuesday, Oct. 27, at 9 p.m. ET/PT.