Live

Watch CBSN Live

Parents of 13 kids plead guilty to torture, abuse in "house of horrors" case

911 call reveals alleged abuse

Riverside County, California -- A California couple who shackled some of their 13 children to beds and starved them have pleaded guilty to torture and other abuse. David and Louise Turpin pleaded guilty Friday in Riverside County Superior Court in the case dubbed a "house of horrors." 

The Turpins pleaded guilty in Riverside County Superior Court to 14 counts that included abusing minor and adult children and imprisoning them in their house that appeared to be neatly kept from the outside in a modest subdivision. The guilty pleas included one count of torture, according to the Riverside County District Attorney's office.

Sentencing was scheduled for April 19.

The couple was arrested in January 2018 when their 17-year-old daughter called 911 after escaping from the family's home in the city of Perris, southeast of Los Angeles.

California teen posted secret videos from "house of horrors"

The children, who ranged in age from 2 to 29 at the time, were severely underweight and hadn't bathed for months and the house reeked of human waste.

Investigators said some of the children had stunted growth and wasted muscles and described being beaten, starved and put in cages.

Disturbing photos presented during a June 2018 court hearing showed two pale, malnourished girls shackled to bunk beds. Their sister, who surreptitiously snapped the photos, was heard pleading in a 911 call played in court for someone to come and save her siblings.

"They will wake up at night and they will start crying and they wanted me to call somebody," the 17-year-old tells the dispatcher.

The intervention by authorities marked a new start for the 13 Turpin offspring who lived in such isolation that some didn't even understand the role of the police when they arrived at the house.

Two girls, 11 and 14, had been hastily released from their chains when police showed up, but a 22-year-old son remained shackled.

The young man said he and his siblings had been suspected of stealing food and being disrespectful, a detective testified. The man said he had been tied up with ropes at first and then, after learning to wriggle free, restrained with increasingly larger chains on and off over six years.

turpins.jpg
Louise and David Turpin at a preliminary hearing June 20, 2018 in Riverside County Superior Court CBS LA reporter Nicole Comstock via Twitter

Authorities said the children were deprived of food and things other kids take for granted, such as toys and games, and were allowed to do little except write in journals.

An investigator testified that some suffered from severe malnutrition and muscle wasting, including an 11-year-old girl who had arms the size of an infant. The 17-year-old who had difficulty pronouncing some words and spoke like a much younger child.

The kids were rarely allowed outside, though they went out on Halloween and traveled as a family to Disneyland and Las Vegas, investigators said. The children spent most of their time locked in their rooms except for limited meals or using the bathroom.

All the children were hospitalized immediately after they were discovered. Riverside County authorities then obtained temporary conservatorship over the adults.