Officials: Gunmen in Afghan uniform kill NATO troop

(CBS/AP) KABUL, Afghanistan - Two gunmen wearing Afghan National Army uniforms turned their weapons on NATO troops Tuesday, killing a service member and wounding two others, U.S. and coalition officials said.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the shooting in eastern Afghanistan — the latest in a rising number of so-called "green-on-blue" attacks in which Afghan security forces, or insurgents disguised in their uniforms, kill their U.S. or NATO partners.

The incidents have undermined the trust between U.S. and NATO forces and the Afghan troops who are taking over the responsibility of security in their nation as international combat units withdraw.

Special Section: Afghanistan, The Way Forward
Truck bomb injures U.S. soldiers at Afghan base
Sinking baskets for SEAL families

The international military coalition did not disclose the nationality of the service member killed.

A coalition statement said Afghan and coalition officials were investigating the shooting.

The Taliban also claimed responsibility Tuesday for a truck bomb attack at the perimeter of a U.S. base in the province of Logar, south of Kabul, CBS News reporter Kitty Logan reports. No fatalities were reported although several people, including two U.S. soldiers, were injured.

The blast happened just hours after a remote-controlled roadside bomb killed at least nine Afghans who were traveling in a minibus.

So far this year, 27 coalition troops have been killed in 20 such attacks, according to an Associated Press tally. That compares with 11 fatal attacks and 20 deaths the previous year. In 2007 and 2008 there were a combined total of four attacks and four deaths.

Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said in a statement to the media that one Afghan soldier killed nine U.S. troops, but the Taliban often exaggerate the death toll of their attacks. He said many other coalition troops were injured in the shooting, which occurred at 5 p.m. at a military base in Gerdiserai area of Paktia province. Afghan officials confirmed that the attack occurred in Paktia.

"The soldier who opened fire on the Americans had long been in contact with Taliban in the area," Mujahid said. "The soldier has escaped and has joined with the Taliban."