Watch CBS News

NFL's Daniel Fells released from hospital but worries remain

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - New York Giants tight end Daniel Fells has been released from a hospital after being treated for nearly three weeks for MRSA, an antibiotic-resistant bacterial infection that threatened his foot.

The Giants announced on Tuesday that Fells, 32, had left Hackensack University Medical Center, where he has been treated since Oct. 2.

News of his release comes a little more than a week after it was reported that Fells might have to have his foot amputated to prevent the spread of the infection. says doctors were able to avoid amputation, though ESPN reported Monday that Fells will need two additional surgeries at a later point, once his foot has more time to heal.

Fells posted an Instagram video of his young children rushing to greet him as he returned home on crutches. "Back where I'm supposed to be. Thanks for all the love and support everyone," he wrote.

Back where I'm supposed to be. Thanks for all the love and support everyone.

A video posted by Daniel Fells (@danielfells85) on

Team officials said it was unclear how Fells contracted the treatment-resistant infection, which developed after an ankle injury. He reportedly spiked a 104-degree fever and required multiple surgeries to clean out the wound.

The Giants had their locker room and other facilities disinfected after the case was found and players were lectured about how to protect themselves from the risk of infection.

MRSA, or methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus, is one of the most notorious "superbugs," a strain of bacteria that has developed resistance to common antibiotics. The infection can be fatal if it gets into the bloodstream.

The Giants placed Fells, 32, on injured reserve earlier this month. According to reports, Fells is unlikely to resume his NFL career.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.