N.C. school shooting victim in critical condition

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. - The 15-year-old girl injured in a shooting at her North Carolina high school was downgraded from stable to critical condition on Tuesday, police said.

Catilyn Abercrombie was listed in critical condition at Cape Fear Valley Medical Center, according to Cumberland County police spokeswoman Debbie Tanna, who said detectives learned of the change in her condition when they visited the facility Tuesday.

The reason for the change in condition wasn't immediately clear. Officials at the hospital on Tuesday said they no longer had a patient with Abercrombie's name listed, and declined to say whether she had been moved to a different hospital or otherwise discuss the case.

A young woman who answered the phone at Abercrombie's home hung up when reached by The Associated Press. Abercrombie's mother could not be reached for comment, and relatives in Louisiana did not return calls seeking comment.

Abercrombie was shot in the neck during a lunch period Monday. Police arrested two teenagers after viewing surveillance video at the school.

N.C. high schooler injured in mysterious shooting

Two te

One is a 15-year-old who faces charges of attempted first-degree murder and assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill. His name has not been released because of his age, and a court date hasn't been set for him yet.

The other, 18-year-old Ta'Von McLaurin, was assigned a public defender at a brief hearing Tuesday. That lawyer could not be immediately reached for comment.

McLaurin is charged with felony aiding and abetting.

Surveillance video showed the two carrying a rifle inside Cape Fear High School, Cumberland County Sheriff Earl "Moose" Butler said.

Butler said investigators don't think Abercrombie was the intended target, but no motive had been established.

"Why did they shoot? I don't know," Butler said.

The high school and nearby Mac Williams Middle School were locked down for hours before students were allowed to go home.

Classes resumed at both schools Tuesday. Butler said additional deputies were at the school to help students and parents feel confident about their safety.

Reached at her home, McLaurin's mother, Tammy, said when asked about her son, "He's fine. I don't really want to talk about it." She then hung up the phone and her line rang unanswered.