Navy Yard shooting victims remembered as loving parents, dedicated workers, avid fans

WASHINGTON A dozen people died in a shooting rampage Monday at the Washington Navy Yard. The shooter also was killed.

It was the deadliest attack at a domestic military installation since November 2009, when an Army psychiatrist killed 13 people and wounded 30 others at Fort Hood, Texas. The stories of the 12 who were gunned down and a police officer who survived are told here.

Michael Arnold
Courtesy of Arnold's family to WJBK-TV

Michael Arnold, 59, of Lorton, Va., was a Navy veteran and avid pilot who was building a light airplane at his home, said his uncle, Steve Hunter.

"It would have been the first plane he ever owned," Hunter said in a telephone interview from Rochester, Mich., Arnold's hometown. "It's partially assembled in his basement."

Hunter said his nephew retired from the Navy as a commander or lieutenant commander and had previously been stationed at Pearl Harbor in Hawaii. He worked at the Navy Yard on a team that designed vessels such as the USS Makin Island, a Wasp-class amphibious assault ship used by the Marine Corps.

Arnold and his wife, Jolanda, had been married for more than 30 years, Hunter said. They had two grown sons, Eric and Christopher.

The Washington Post reported that a neighbor, who said she was on her way to console Arnold's wife, said that Arnold was a "wonderful person and a wonderful neighbor."

Hunter said Arnold returned to Michigan for Labor Day to visit his 80-year-old mother, Patricia.

"He was a loving son of his mother and his wife, and great father to his kids," said Hunter. "It's tragic. How can you get up in the morning and go to work and have that happen? How do bad things like that happen to good people?"

Martin Bodrog
Courtesy of Bodrog's family

Martin Bodrog, 54, lived on a quiet, tree-shaded cul-de-sac in Annandale, Va., where family and friends gathered Tuesday.

Jeff Prowse, a close friend of Bodrog and family spokesman, said Bodrog was a hardworking Navy veteran and graduate of the Naval Academy who cared deeply about his family, his friends and his country.

"A heart of gold, and one of the most humble, self-effacing guys," said Prowse, a burly ex-Marine who paused several times to fight back tears as he talked.

"This is just an absolute tragedy for so many reasons," Prowse said.

Prowse worked with Bodrog at the Pentagon on amphibious vessel programs. He said Bodrog was transferred from the Pentagon to the Navy Yard in January.

Bodrog had been married for 25 years to Melanie, whom he met while she was serving on active duty as a Navy nurse. The couple had three daughters, ages 23, 17 and 16.

Prowse and Bodrog shared a love of the Boston Bruins hockey team and he last spoke to his good friend about a week ago.

"We were actually getting ready to figure out our Bruins schedule for the year," said Prowse, who retired from the military and now lives in southwest Virginia.

Bodrog was active in his church, where he started a Bible study and helped lead preschool and youth programs, Prowse said. In the winter, Bodrog could be seen in shorts and his Boston Bruins jersey, shoveling the driveways of elderly neighbors.

"The one thing that always stuck out to me about Marty ... was how absolutely driven he was to make sure that the equipment we were giving our Marines and sailors was absolutely the best he could be," Prowse said. "It was not a job for Marty, it was an absolute calling."

Arthur Daniels Sr., 51, of Washington, was a handyman working for a furniture contractor who just happened to be moving and installing furniture at the Navy Yard on Monday when the shooting began. He was the father of five children and the grandfather of nine.

On Wednesday, his family was still grieving and looking for answers.

Daniels' daughter, Iadora, received a long, wordless embrace from cousin Lisa Langley outside the family's apartment in Southeast Washington.

Iadora Daniels recalled how the family waited Monday to hear whether Arthur was safe.

"We called to the hospital and they said he wasn't there. We waited and waited, and then the FBI and the police came and told us they're sorry, my father didn't make it," she said.

Arthur Daniels worked remodeling offices, his daughter said. In his spare time, he liked to tinker with his cars, a white Crown Victoria and a green Saab.

"He was a good dad," Iadora said, adding that her father also liked to cook.

"Steak," she said, before breaking down in tears.

Langley said the family was still looking for information about the shooting.

"I would like to know all the details about what exactly happened to him," she said.

Daniels and his wife, Priscilla, were high school sweethearts, and all four of their sons were named after Arthur Daniels.

His death comes four years after the death of their 14-year-old son Arthur A. Daniels, who was shot and killed on a Washington street.

"My husband was the man I loved through all the tragedy," Priscilla Daniels told The Washington Post. "I can't believe this is happening again."

Sylvia Frasier
Courtesy of Frasier's family

Sylvia Frasier, 53, of Waldorf, Md., had worked at Naval Sea Systems Command as an information assurance manager since 2000, according to a LinkedIn profile in her name.

"Sylvia was a loving daughter and sister with an infectious smile," read a statement released by a family spokesman to CBS News. "If there are any words to describe her, it would be faithful, family oriented and dedicated professional.

"Sylvia loved the Lord, which was evident in her service as a member of Rhema Christian Center Church, serving as deaconess, altar counselor and a member of the Logos ministry, which is the arts and music organization. She was self-sacrificing, always putting others before herself. Sylvia was dutiful in everything she put her hands forth to do.

"She was a friend to everyone she met and a stranger to no one. The only hurt she caused us was the void that was left when she was snatched up prematurely and gone too soon. She will be sorely missed."

Frasier studied at Strayer University, earning a bachelor of science in computer information systems in 2000 and a master's in information systems in 2002. Her duties at NAVSEA included providing policy and guidance on network security, and assuring that all computer systems operated by the headquarters met Department of Navy and Department of Defense requirements.

She also led efforts "to establish and implement procedures to investigate security violations or incidents," according to the profile.

Her brother, James Frasier, declined comment Monday night.