Watch CBS News

Minn. 19-year-old gets less than 1 year for raping 2 teens

HASTINGS, Minn. - A 19-year-old Minnesota man was sentenced to less than one year behind bars for raping two girls, ages 13 and 15.

Michael Stucky Jr., of Northfield, Minn., pleaded guilty to two counts of third-degree criminal sexual conduct. On Monday, he was sentenced to 361 days in jail - time he has already served since his 2013 arrest - a $50 fine and 15 years probation. He will have to register as a predatory sex offender and could face 48 months in prison if he re-offends.

According to the criminal complaint, Stucky met his 13-year-old victim in March 2013 when he and a juvenile male picked her and her friend up from the friend's house. The girl told police that after going to the Mall of America, the group went to the other male's house in Rosemont, approximately 25 miles southeast of Minneapolis. This is where Stucky pushed her onto a couch in the basement and took her clothes off "as she was saying no."

The Defendant "asked her to take her pants off and [she] stated she kept telling Defendant she did not want to take off her pants; however, she became scared because the tone of Defendant's voice change...[She] stated Defendant had intercourse with her," and that he was aware she was 13 years old and in the eighth grade.

Five months later, Stucky went to the Rosemont home of a 15-year-old victim whom he'd met on Facebook. According to the complaint, the girl told police that Stucky arrived at her house at around 4 a.m. on Aug. 6 and "began kissing and making out with her and she was attempting to resist him, saying stop and pushing him away. The juvenile female stated Defendant became more aggressive and started taking her clothing off and began having sexual intercourse with her. The juvenile female stated she pushed the Defendant away with her foot and said no multiple times, but was scared."

Stucky initially told police that he had sex with the 15-year-old, but that it was consensual.

According to a statement by Dakota County Attorney James Backstrom, the original charges carried a possible sentence of four years in prison. However, he stated, "after charging this case, we learned more information pertaining to it which led us to believe we may not be able to prove the original charges beyond a reasonable doubt."

Backstrom stated that the victims' families "supported this resolution" and "did not want their daughters traumatized any further in connection with this matter proceeding to trial."

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.