McVeigh Silent To The End

061101, BAI. mcveigh story image oklahoma city, JM
The end came for Timothy McVeigh on Monday morning at 8:14 a.m. EDT. The 33-year-old terrorist was pronounced dead by federal prison warden Harley Lappin after receiving a lethal injection for one of the most horrific crimes in U.S. history.

McVeigh, a decorated Gulf War veteran, was convicted for killing 168 people in the April 19, 1995 bombing of the Oklahoma City federal building. He died silently with his eyes open, according to witnesses, becoming the first federal prisoner executed in 38 years.

McVeigh made no final remarks, but gave a hand-written statement to the press, in which he quoted in full the poem Invictus by William Ernest Henley, which ends, "I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul."

Attorney Robert Nigh told CBS News Anchor Dan Rather he believes his client chose not to speak "in part because he didn't think there was anything more he could say that might not be misinterpreted or hurtful – and he didn't want to be hurtful."

Witnesses said McVeigh was tight-lipped when he entered the execution chamber at the federal prison at Terre Haute, Ind., but he appeared to relax when the drugs were administered. He wore sneakers and a white T-shirt. Media witnesses described McVeigh as having a nearly shaved head, looking older and thinner than in previous encounters with the public.

His Life
Profile of a terrorist

His Death
Eyewitness account

His Statement
The poem "Invictus"
(Click here for text)

Legal Analysis
Andrew Cohen writes

Bush Speaks
The president reacts

Public Opinion
On the execution & the case

Speaking Out
U.S., world response

McVeigh's Lawyer
Attorney's statement

The Crime
A look back

Guilt Admitted
McVeigh comes clean

Bombing's Lessons
Stress on security

The Fateful Day
A personal account

The Bombing
An Interactive look

The Victims
Tribute to the children

Your View
The Bulletin Board

McVeigh's death was witnessed at the prison by 10 victims or survivors of victims, 10 media representatives and some people McVeigh had invited. In addition, 232 victims of the blast or family members of those killed watched the procedure via closed circuit television in Oklahoma City.

CBS News Correspondent Byron Pitts was one of the media team that watched the execution.

"Timothy James McVeigh died with his eyes open," Pitts said. "When the curtains came back, he made eye contact with his people who came to support him. When the curtain passed the media center, Mr. McVeigh seemed to look up and intentionally make eye contact with each of us."

"Then when the curtain passed, the room where the victims' relatives were — and survivors — he turned his head to the right and made eye contact with them," Pitts said.

In Oklahoma City, Kathleen Treanor, whose 4-year-old daughter, Ashley, and her husband's parents died in the bombing, watched the execution on closed-circuit TV. Afterward, she held up a picture of her daughter and said: "I thought of her every step of the way." She said there was no display of emotion in the room as the execution took place.

Paul Howell, whose daughter, Karan, was killed, was disappointed to see no sign of remorse in McVeigh.

"What I was hoping for, and I'm sure most of us were, we could see some kind of, maybe, 'I'm sorry,'" he said after witnessing the execution in Terre Haute. "You know, something like that. We didn't get anything from his face."

Outside the prison, death penalty supporters huddled quietly on bleachers outside the federal prison, holding homemade signs in the glare from television spotlights. On the other side of orange snow fencing, death penalty opponents sat on straw bales, some holding flickering candles in milk carton holders.

In a statement at the White House, President Bush said the execution delivered "not vengeance, but justice."

Nigh has used McVeigh's execution as a platform to condemn the death penalty and criticized it as a means of making amends for a horrific crime.

"If killing Tim McVeigh does not bring peace or closure to them, I suggest to you that it is our fault," Nigh said, referring to the survivors and families who lost loved ones. "We have told them we would help heal their wounds in this way. We have taken it upon ourselves to promise to extract vengance for them. We have made killing a part of the healing process."

McVeigh has maintained he planted the 7,000-pound bomb to teach the government a lesson for its out-of control behavior, particularly the disastrous federal raids at Ruby Ridge, Idaho, and near Waco, Texas.

He told a newspaper and his lawyers this weekend that he was sorry about the people who died, but viewed the attack as a military operation against an oppressive government.

He was originally set to die on May 16, but the discovery of thousands of pages of evidence that the FBI had failed to turn over to defense attorneys prompted Attorney General John Ashcroft to postpone the execution until June 11.

United States Vs. McVeigh
The bomber's fight for an execution delay:
  • McVeigh's initial stay request
  • The government's response
  • The defense team's reply brief
  • Transcript of the hearing
  • Judge Matsch's order
  • McVeigh's appeal to the Circuit Court
  • The appeals court decision
  • Andrew Cohen's legal analysis
  • McVeigh decided in late May to seek an additional stay. His lawyers said they needed more time to review the 4,500 documents turned over to them, claimed the government was withholding more evidence and suggested that there was reason to believe other conspirators were involved in the bombing.

    Last week, two federal courts turned down McVeigh's request for the additional stay, saying the new evidence did not put into question McVeigh's guilt or death sentence. McVeigh could have appealed to the Supreme Court, but decided not to.

    McVeigh marked off his final hours Sunday in an isolation cell, eating his final requested meal: two pints of mint chocolate chip ice cream.

    He also met with attorneys, who said he was in good spirits prepared to meet his fate, watched television, and wrote letters of appreciation and goodbye to riends. No member of his family was present at the execution, by McVeigh's request.

    McVeigh was given Last Rites by prison chaplain Frank Roof, according to the Rev. Ron Ashmore of St. Margaret Mary Church, who had met with McVeigh over the last year. The sacrament usually requires an admission of sorrow for past sins.

    "Tim was raised Catholic," Ashmore said. "He knows when you ask for that, it's like saying, 'I'm sorry for everything I've done Lord. Please love me.'"

    McVeigh's body was taken to a local funeral home, where he was cremated and his ashes given to one of his attorneys, Ashmore said. The cause of death was listed as lethal injection; at his request, no autopsy was performed.

    Attorney Chris Tritico said the disposition of the ashes would remain a secret forever.

    In the last federal execution, convicted kidnapper and murderer Victor Feguer was hanged on March 15, 1963, in Iowa. In the next scheduled federal execution, drug kingpin and murderer Juan Raul Garza is set to die June 19. He is one of 19 people who remain on federal death row.

    ©MMI Viacom Internet Services Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press and Reuters Ltd. contributed to this report