Watch CBSN Live

Malnourished Boy Out of Hospital

David and Elijah Fink are back in Utah with a foster family, after their release from a Montana hospital Wednesday, Correspondent Brian Mullahy of CBS Station KUTV in Salt Lake City reports.

David, 21 months old, was the target of a massive manhunt last week, after his parents allegedly kidnapped him from a hospital, where he was being treated for malnutrition. His mother gave birth to Elijah while on the run, authorities said.

Authorities swooped into the remote Montana wilderness Monday to arrest the fugitive Utah couple, and get the mother and her children to a hospital, CBS News Correspondent Sandra Hughes reports.

The father, Christopher Fink, was found Monday afternoon in a remote, mountainous area of south-central Montana by authorities who had spotted his car, FBI spokesman George Dougherty said.

Fink and his wife, Kyndra, are being held in a Montana jail, accused of kidnapping David from a hospital where he was admitted severely malnourished. The waived extradition and could be back in Utah by the weekend.

Fink led officers to a campsite about 18 miles north of Nye, Mont., where Kyndra and two sons were huddled against the cold waiting for him to return with food.

A security camera at Primary Children's Medical Center in Salt Lake City showed Fink taking David on Sept. 19, five days after his wife's family admitted the severely malnourished child.

David weighed 16 pounds, about the size of an average 6-month-old. The FBI has said the Finks believed David was "the Christ Child" and were feeding him only lettuce and watermelon in hopes of keeping him pure.

In a rambling religious treatise posted on the Internet, Fink wrote of the dangers of eating meat and also predicted that adherence to his dietary beliefs would lead to conflict with authorities.

Mrs. Fink said their second child, Elijah Evergreen, was born at the campsite Sept. 23, the day they arrived in Montana, Dougherty said.

Fearing David Fink was dying, family members came to Salt Lake City to help the FBI track the couple, urging them to turn themselves in. But they didn't. Two Montana hunters spotted the couple's car and called police.

Kyndra's older sister headed to Montana. "I'm still apprehensive, because I want David," the sister said. "I still need him, and I need to know he's OK."

View CBS News In