Love, Lies, Murder?

Surprising Arrest In Disappearance Of Janet March

When their daughter first disappeared, the Levines struggled to make sense of their son-in-law's account that, after an argument, she packed her bags and left on a 12-day vacation.

One thing that troubled Carolyn was the appointment her daughter had talked about the day she disappeared. "She asked me to go with her the next day to see a divorce lawyer," says Carolyn.

When Perry was named as a suspect and stopped cooperating with police, the Levines' suspicions grew.

Larry Levine says he his 100 percent certain Perry killed Janet. "Unconditionally positive," he says.

The Levines made their first move the day Perry was named as a suspect. They filed a court action to stop him from taking Sammy and Tzipi out of town. But that very day, Perry moved with his children to Chicago.

The Levines then went to a Chicago court to file for visitation rights with their grandchildren.

After a two-year legal battle, a Chicago court granted the Levines weekend visitation rights. But when they showed up in a courtroom in the spring of 1999 to finalize the agreement, Perry wasn't there. He had moved to Mexico.

"I moved to Mexico because I needed to get the hell out of Dodge and start a new life, and get out of their clutches," says Perry.

Perry and his two children settled into a new life in Ajijic, the Mexican town his father Arthur had retired to years earlier. Arthur March helped his son get started on a new career as a financial and real estate advisor.

Perry and his children moved into a house, along with Carmen Rojas, who he met during his first week in Mexico, and her three children. They married within a year.

His old life in Nashville was a chapter Perry was now more than ready to close. As for what happened to his first wife, Janet, Carmen Rojas says she doesn't know what happened or why she went away.

"I've told the children the truth: That Mommy left home, we don't know what happened to her, it's very sad, but that's the truth," says Perry.

The truth for the Levines was also very sad, but totally different. Two months after Perry fled with their grandchildren to Mexico, Janet's parents filed a wrongful death claim against their former son-in-law in a Nashville civil court. When Perry failed to show up in court to fight the charge, Judge Frank Clement ruled against him and found him "wrongfully responsible for causing her death."

For the Levines, it was a vindication. But Perry says he thinks it's a crock. "I think it's unconstitutional," he says.