Lebanon Blast Kills Anti-Syria Pol

A Lebanese soldier guards the car of former Lebanese Communist party chief George Hawi after it was destroyed by a bomb blast in Beirut, Lebanon, Tuesday, June 21, 2005.
A bomb blast killed a politician who was a harsh critic of Syria's power in Lebanon as he rode in his car Tuesday, police said, the second slaying of an anti-Syrian figure this month.

The explosion that killed former Communist Party chief George Hawi came a day after Lebanon finished elections in which the anti-Syrian opposition won a majority in parliament, breaking the hold of Damascus' allies on the legislature.

Hawi's allies blamed Lebanese and Syrian security services in the assassination. "Yes, it's the Lebanese security system — the remnants — the tutelage," Farouk Dahrouj, another former Communist Party leader, said on New TV. "Tutelage" is a reference to Syria's influence in Lebanon.

The opposition says Syrian intelligence agencies continue to operate in Lebanon and that Lebanon's own security services still have pro-Syrian elements, even after the Syrian military withdrew from the country in April, ending a 29-year presence.

The opposition accused them in the slaying earlier this month of an anti-Syrian journalist, Samir Kassir, and the Feb. 15 car bomb that killed former prime minister Rafik Hariri.

The June 2 killing of Kassir revived fears that Damascus and its local allies may be planning further assassinations to get rid of their opponents. Syria and the Lebanese government have denied any role in the slayings.

Justice Minister Khaled Kabbani, touring the scene of Tuesday's blast, said the bomb that killed Hawi was detonated by remote control, similar to the one that killed Kassir.

Hawi's car was moving, with Hawi in the front passenger seat, when the bomb went off in Beirut's Wata Museitbeh neighborhood, police said. Hawi was killed and his driver wounded. The explosive charges was put under Hawi's seat, police said.

Hawi's face was visible and recognizable as his bloodied body was taken out of the car on a stretcher and placed in an ambulance. His Mercedes was cracked and buckled from the explosion.

A worker at a nearby car dealership said he heard the blast and ran to the car to see what happened. Hawi's driver, slightly wounded, had run to the passenger side door and the two men tried to help Hawi.

"Hawi was still alive and told the two of us, 'Help me, help me.' His face was bloodied, his abdomen was badly injured. Then he died," the dealership worker said, refusing to be named for fear of trouble with security services.

Hawi's wife, ophthalmologist Sossie Madoyan, ran to the site, about 100 yards from her clinic, and fainted when she saw the carnage.