LOS ANGELES -- Los Angeles police Chief Charlie Beck says three officers violated deadly-force rules when they shot an unarmed man on live television last year.
The Los Angeles Times reports Thursday that Beck rejected the officers' claims that they feared for their lives after a high-speed chase.
Beck says the evidence didn't show a deadly threat.
The chief will now have to decide what punishment, if any, to give the officers who have been relieved of duty since the December 2013 shooting.
The City Council in August voted to pay $5 million to the family of victim Brian Beaird to settle a federal civil rights lawsuit.
"Everyone knew he was unarmed," attorney Dale Galipo, who represents Beaird's parents, told CBS Los Angeles earlier this year. "Most people who have seen the video, almost all people who have seen the video, have said this was completely excessive and unreasonable."
Beaird, a 51-year-old National Guard veteran, led authorities on a nearly hour-long chase after they tried to stop him for reckless driving.