In the new film "First Daughter" Katie Holmes plays a coed striving for a normal freshman experience.
There is only one problem: her father, played by Michael Keaton, is the president of the United States, and everywhere she turns, there is a Secret Service agent.
She falls in love with her dorm resident adviser, played by Marc Blucas.
On Friday's The Early Show, Holmes, who is 25, says she'd like to go to college. "It's something that I'm looking forward to doing someday, and I know that my experience will be completely different, but, at the same time, I had a great time doing 'Dawson's Creek.'"
Holmes says she thinks a recent tabloid rumor that she and her fiance Chris Klein are breaking up is funny. The rumor was started by a conversation about a house overheard in a restaurant.
"It's like any small town and it's people with that nosy little ear and trying to find out your business. It's like, 'What? What are you doing? Go home!'
"I think whenever people are talking about you, it means that you're doing well in this business," she says, "So, the end of the day, it's always a pleasure. You just roll with it."
She says her mother is helping with her wedding plans. "It's been a wonderful year for me."
Some Facts About Katie Holmes:
- Born Katie Noelle Holmes in Toledo, Ohio, on Dec. 18, 1978.
- 1997, made her feature debut in "The Ice Storm."
- From 1998-2003, has had a regular series role on the popular teen drama "Dawson's Creek" on the WB channel. According to her bio, she was asked to audition for this role on the same day she was to debut as Lola in her high school production of "Damn Yankees." She declined, citing her commitment to fellow castmates, and casting agents wisely rescheduled.
- Also in 1998, was seen in the thriller, "Disturbing Behavior."
- In 1999, Holmes performed in Williamson's "Teaching Mrs. Tingle" as well as Doug Liman's indie ensemble film "Go."
- In 2000, she starred with Tobey Maguire in "Wonder Boys," the Curtis Hanson-directed adaptation of Michael Chabon's novel chronicling a middle-aged author (Michael Douglas) plagued by writer's block.
Also in 2000, she played a bitchy, man-eating Southern beauty who is brutally murdered in Sam Raimi's thriller "The Gift." She appears nude, in an attempt to put her sweet "Dawson's Creek" persona behind her.
- In 2002, Holmes took the lead in screenwriter-turned-director Stephen Gaghan's woman-in-jeopardy outing "Abandon."
- In 2003, she joined the cast of director Joel Schumacher's action fest, "The Phone Booth."
- She also appeared in a supporting role in "The Singing Detective," an adaptation of the Dennis Potter book starring Mel Gibson and Robert Downey Jr.
- Also in 2003, she got engaged to actor Chris Klein, whom she started dating in January 2000.
- In 2004, Holmes was cast in "Batman Begins," to be released in summer 2005.