Watch CBSN Live

Jury to hear the rest of Conrad Murray police interview in Jackson manslaughter case

Dr. Conrad Murray sits in court during his trial in the death of pop star Michael Jackson, Friday, Oct. 7, 2011 in Los Angeles. Pool, AP Photo/Mario Anzuoni

(CBS/AP) LOS ANGELES - The jury hearing the involuntary manslaughter case against Michael Jackson's personal physician is expected to listen Tuesday to the conclusion of the doctor's police interview that occurred two days after the singer's death on June 25, 2009.

Pictures: Who's who in the trial of Dr. Conrad Murray
Pictures: Michael Jackson's Doctor Trial
Video: Dr. Conrad Murray manslaughter trial begins

Prosecutors began playing the more than two hour recording Friday afternoon, but it was interrupted by the end of the court day. According to a transcript released Friday, the remainder of Dr. Conrad Murray's interview with two police detectives includes his description of telling Jackson's mother and young children that the singer had died.

The interview ends shortly after the Houston-based cardiologist revealed where to find three bags in Jackson's bedroom closet that contained vials of the anesthetic propofol and other medical equipment. Detectives did not find the bags until two days after the interview with Murray.

Authorities argue Murray gave Jackson a lethal dose of the anesthetic and other sedatives while trying to help the singer sleep. Murray's attorneys, however, say that Jackson gave himself the fatal dose when the doctor left the room. Murray has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter. If convicted, he faces up to four years behind bars and the loss of his medical license.

The cardiologist tells police during the interview that he had only left Jackson alone for a couple of minutes to use the restroom before returning to find the entertainer unresponsive. But phone records presented during the trial, now entering its third week, show that Murray made multiple phone calls before realizing Jackson had stopped breathing - including a 32-minute call to one of his medical clinics and another call to a girlfriend.

Murray made no mention of the calls during his police interview.

He told the detectives, who at that point hadn't yet ruled Jackson's death a homicide, that he thought the singer was becoming addicted to propofol after nightly treatments of the medication by Murray for roughly two months. He said he was trying to wean him off when things went wrong.

"He was my friend," Murray is heard telling detectives. "I had no intention of hurting him."

Complete coverage of the Conrad Murray - Michael Jackson case on CBS News

View CBS News In