Joshua Ceasar, bat attack victim of Md. cannibal Alex Kinyua, says Morgan State Univesity should have warned students

Joshua Ceasar
Joshua Ceasar

(CBS/WJZ/AP) BALTIMORE - A victim left partially blinded by a baseball bat attack at Morgan State University in Maryland says the school should have warmed students about alleged attacker Alex Kinyua, who is also suspected of murder and cannibalism in a separate case. 

Pictures: Personal photos of accused Md. cannibal

"I wouldn't even have been put in that situation if Morgan did a better job of telling news to the general population of what type of person that we're around," Ceasar told CBS Baltimore.

Caesar's lawyer also reportedly says the university should have taken some sort of prior action.

Kinyua was waiting with a bat wrapped in barbed wire and chains when an unsuspecting Ceasar walked through the front door of the apartment Kinyua had been sharing with Ceasar's friends on May 19, attorney Steve Silverman said. Ceasar was visiting campus for another friend's graduation. He lost consciousness when Kinyua cracked him on the head, fracturing his skull and shattering his left eye socket. Ceasar is blind in that eye and doctors aren't optimistic that he will regain his sight, Silverman said.

Campus police charged Kinyua with assault and reckless endangerment in the bat attack. Prosecutors asked a court commissioner to refuse bail but he was freed on $220,000 bail, according to the State's Attorney's office. 

Days after the alleged attack on Ceasar, 21-year-old Kinyua told investigators that he had eaten the heart and brain of family friend 37-year-old Kujoe Bonsafo Agyei-Kodie who he is charged with killing at his family's home in Joppatowne, according to charging documents.

Silverman said he is investigating if there were earlier signs that Kinyua was a danger.

"We are in the process of ... determining whether or not university officials should have or could have done anything in light of what was known to them to protect students, family and friends on campus for graduation," he said. "It appears preliminarily there were a number of indicators."

A December campus police report obtained by The Baltimore Sun states that Kinyua was kicked out of an ROTC program after he punched holes in the walls of the cadet computer lab and a military instructor referred to him as a "Virginia Tech waiting to happen." The report said Kinyua was barred from campus until a meeting with school officials and that two officers didn't think a psychological evaluation was needed.

The university is also reviewing whether officials could have responded in a different way, said Morgan spokesman Clinton Coleman.

"At this point we believe the university did everything it should have," he said. "You always have to bear in mind that you are dealing with student issues and young people and you have to deal with each person individually."

Agyei-Kodie's sister, Irene Konadu Asante, said the family would discuss the possibility of taking legal action on Thursday, following tradition in Ghana of waiting a week after a death before holding a family meeting.