Jackson Accuser's Dad Speaks Up

Michael Jackson talks to "60 Minutes" correspondent Ed Bradley, left, in an interview Thursday, Dec. 25, 2003 at a Los Angeles hotel. The interview is scheduled to be broadcast Sunday, Dec. 28 on the CBS television network.
AP / CBS
The father of Michael Jackson's young accuser, who has pleaded no contest to child cruelty, said in an interview broadcast Monday that he wants a restraining order dropped so he can resume seeing his children. His attorney also says the man is not seeking money from the entertainer.

"I've been trying to get a hold of them and get in touch with them since 2001," the man said in an interview on CBS News' The Early Show. "I've never been without them and it's been just a world of hurt without them since I've been away from them."

Last month, a judge refused to lift a 2-year-old restraining order banning him from seeing his children. The father had requested supervised visits with the boy, his brother and sister.

The father pleaded no contest to child cruelty in 2002 and spousal abuse in 2001 and the boy's mother filed for divorce in 2001. The man's lawyer, Russell Halpern, said the father entered the no contest plea "against his own wishes," but never admitted wrongdoing.

Halpern would not let the man answer questions about the singer, citing a gag order in Jackson's case.

Jackson has pleaded innocent to seven counts of performing lewd or lascivious acts on a child under 14 and two counts of administering and intoxicating agent, reportedly wine. The singer is free on $3 million bail pending trial.

Halpern told Early Show National Correspondent Hattie Kauffman both parents were present at Neverland.

"From what I understand, Mr. Jackson was very hospitable and a very good host and never displayed any conduct that would cause anybody any concern," he said, answering for the boy's father.

The man's son was a teenage cancer patient when the alleged abuse occurred last year.

The father described his son's illness, saying that the youth had "a 16-pound cyst in his tummy area." The surgeon who removed the tumor said it was the "size of a football" and the boy lost a kidney, spleen and lymph nodes when the tumor was removed, the father said.

Halpern denied his client, the boy's father, is looking for money from Jackson.

"I don't foresee any lawsuit on behalf of my client," he said. "There is nothing to be discussed."