CBSN

Hungry Mims In Trouble


Chagrined Chris Mims faces discipline from the San Diego Chargers for allegedly assaulting a man and taking his tacos during a confrontation outside a fast-food restaurant.

The Chargers have made a big public relations push in recent months, so they weren't pleased to see the defensive end's name in a police report.

"Basically, our club in no way condones any behavior that seems to have occurred here," coach Mike Riley said after practice Wednesday. "I'm very disappointed in that. At the same time, we've dealt with Chris behind our doors and we're making every move to get this thing straightened away."

Riley said he had imposed some type of discipline, but he wouldn't give specifics.

"Actually, it's not all completed yet," he said.

Police are investigating a 23-year-old man's claim that the 300-pound Mims shoved his face into a wall, stole his tacos and struck him twice with a belt early Monday morning, some 10 hours after the Chargers lost their home opener to Indianapolis.

Michael J. McKinney told police he was attacked after he made a comment about Mims getting out of a limo and then urinating in the parking lot at a downtown Del Taco.

Mims seemed contrite and embarrassed when he talked with reporters Wednesday.

"This is the worst thing that probably ever happened to me," he said, noting all the media attention to the incident. "I've just got to deal with it."

He wouldn't discuss the specifics of what happened, citing legal concerns. "I'm just sorry that this all happened," Mims said.

He said he wanted to apologize to his family, teammates, the Chargers organization and the fans, who he says have been supportive during his two stints as a Charger.

Mims wouldn't say if he'd apologized to McKinney. He also wouldn't comment on whether he'd talked to police, who say Mims left the scene before officers arrived.

McKinney said Wednesday that he hadn't heard from Mims or anyone else with the Chargers.

Mims spent about 15 minutes on the sideline Wednesday speaking with the team's pastor, Shawn Mitchell. The Chargers' first-round draft pick in 1992, Mims was released in April 1997. He rejoined in June 1998 and has been a reserve ever since.

Asked if he'd been fined, Mims said: "I'll find out."

Meanwhile, Ryan Leaf had a good day. Now the third-string quarterback, Leaf threw for the first time since undergoing surgery on his right shoulder on July 26.

Leaf made about 15 easy tosses of about 10-15 yards. "I'm all smiles about it," said Leaf, who is on the active roster but probably won't be in playing shape until late October.

Working with trainer Jmes Collins, "I tried to test it a little bit, but he told me to tone it down," Leaf said.

Leaf missed all of last week with the flu and didn't attend Sunday's home loss to the Colts.

The Chargers (1-1) play host to AFC West rival Kansas City (2-1) on Sunday.

©1999 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed