Creative Consultant Daphne Shirley stops by The Early Show to offer some spooktacular suggestions, often mixing and matching store-bought and homemade elements.
Popular Licensed Costumes:
Each Halloween, some of the most popular costumes are of characters from the big screen. This year, they include Frodo and Gandalf from the blockbuster trilogy, "Lord of Rings." Animated films, like "Finding Nemo," usually produce some favorites for the younger set, too. The Nemo character, a young clown fish, is just one example. Also, the anticipated movie based on the popular classic children's book "Cat in the Hat," has already garnered huge interest as well. Of course, superhero movies like "Spiderman" and "Batman" continue to capture the imagination of boys everywhere, but "The Incredible Hulk" movie, debuting this past summer, has had little boys seeing green.
- "Lord of Rings" - Frodo the hobbit, Kid's Frodo Costume from Party City ($29.99), Frodo Accessory Kit (includes Hooded cloak, pouch, light up sword and ring ($29.99) and Gandalf the White Deluxe Outfit ($40.00) from Party City, check out partycity.com for a store near you. Gandalf Deluxe wig and beard set ($39.99) from Extreme Halloween extremehalloween.com.
- Nemo-Orange Clown Fish Hat from Elope Hats available at ToysRUs.com ($16.99), Learning Express stores nationwide or elope.com to find a store near you. Orange sweats ($5.99) and sweatshirt ($5.99) available at Target stores nationwide, striped with white and back tape.
Turtle Dog Costume fashioned from a bicycle helmet available at Toys R Us, ($10.99) painted as a turtle shell, green army socks from Target, ($3.99 pair) and turtle green scarf available at A.C. Moore Craft stores ($2.99)
- Dr. Seuss's The Cat in the Hat costume from Universal Studios available at Rubie's Costume Company in Tiny Tikes to Adult sizes. Even before the movie opens, kids are clamoring for this hot movie merchandise; it is rated No. 3 for this year's most wanted movie costume. It is available at Toys "R" Us, toysrus.com. Prices vary ($19.99-53.99).
Thing 1 and Thing 2 with fishbowl candy carriers - Red velour sweat suits from The Children's Place ($29.00) adorned with Thing 1 and Thing 2 emblems made from fun foam. Blue Wigs found at Lacey Fashions, ($20), 800.562.9911, located at 319 West 39th Street, NYC, 212 695.1996. Fishbowl plastic candy carriers are from Industrial Plastics ($13 each.) 212 226 2010.
- Hulk Super Deluxe Costume, www.buycostumes.com, $699.99. Baby Hulk costume, available at Toys "R" Us or toysrus.com, $16.99 stuffed with extra "muscles."
Some top Halloween favorites include classic characters. Every little girl would like to dress up at least once as a princess. And what boy hasn't played the role of a pirate, a character receiving renewed interest with the recent "Pirates in the Caribbean" movie.
- Princess Outfits and Accessories from Creative Education of Canada. (Prices range from $4.99 to $100) creative-edu.com or (800) 982 2642. Princess dog costume from petsmart.com or (888) 839-9638, ($15.99) with Boa dog leash. Dog courtesy of PETsMART.
PETsMART's national Howl-o-Ween Yappy Hour costume party
All pets can strut their stuff at PETsMART's national Howl-o-Ween Yappy Hour costume party at all stores nationwide on Tuesday, Oct. 21, 2003, from 6 to 8 p.m. Activities include games, costumes contests, treats for tricks, photos and costume parade and more. Call (888) 839-9638 or petsmart.com for store nearest you.
- Pirate costume - Adult Pirate Costume (Standard Size) $12.99, Pirate Sword, Earrings and Pouch sold separately. Elements from Partycity.com and Target with tattered old white cotton men's shirt. Parrot from Target ($5.00)
- Alice in Wonderland costume (handmade in Wales) available at The White Rabbit, Carmel Calif., thewhiterabbit.com, 831 624 2556 with live White Rabbit and stopwatch necklace and Mad Hatter Hat from Elope Hats available at ToysRUs.com ($13.99), Learning Express stores nationwide or elopehats.com to find a store near you. Mad Hatter clothes from Target, Old Navy augmented with a few thrift store finds.
For those who enjoy more creative alternatives, family and parenting magazines offer lots of homemade costume ideas in their October issues. For instance, Family Fun magazine came up with a whimsical costume that's a box full of plush toy puppies.
- Pick of the Litter from FamilyFun magazine, jas.familyfun.go.com
Topical subjects or people are often a source of interesting, fun and sometimes humorous costumes. With the World Series under way, many kids will be wearing baseball uniforms from their favorite teams and players. Another popular choice this year is military uniforms, even among young girls who look up to enlisted women like Jessica Lynch. Ideas for costumes can come from anywhere: be it the current Mod (1960s) styles from the fashion runways or the financial headlines from Wall Street.
- World Series Baseball players - official Derek Jeter New York Yankees uniform from Cosby & Co. Sports Shop ($100), cosbysports.com, 212 563 6464. Florida Marlins cap from Cosby & Co. Marlins outfit from EBay.
- Military GI Costume, Military Hat and Make-up from ($27.99) from Party City, partycity.com for a store near you. Dog tags available at Army Navy stores nationwide.
RamBark dog costume ($21.99) from spoiledrottendoggies.com, a division of Extreme Halloween. Dog courtesy of PETsMART.
- Mod Dynamic Duo- Various clothing items from thrift stores, flea markets and your own closet augmented with accessories from trendy stores such as H & M and Mexx. Wigs from Target ($12.99)
- Wall St. Power Broker with Bull and Bull and Bear kids. Bear corduroy coat ($29.50) and trousers ($14.50) from Old Navy, Bear Hat from Elope Hats available at ToysRUs.com ($14.99), Learning Express stores nationwide or elope.com to find a store near you. Bear slippers from Target ($7.99). Outfit augmented with faux fur belly. Bull velour miniskirt outfit ($17.00) and black suede fur shearling vest ($32.00) and black tights ($4.50) from The Children's Place. Sequined black bull horns from Target, ($1.99)