Watch CBS News

Heroes of Hurricane Irene

In the midst and aftermath of now-Tropical Storm Irene, many people risked their lives to help others. It would be impossible to list all the brave works of many rescue workers and volunteers, but below are a few examples.

Would you like to share the story of a hero in the storm? Post a comment at the bottom of this piece.

* * *

In Spring Valley, NY, a good Samaritan was electrocuted trying to help a young child who had gone into a flooded street outside New York City that had live wires embedded in it.

A spokesman for the Rockland County Emergency Operations Center told the Associated Press the child was in serious condition at a hospital burn unit.

Spokesman Ron Levine says the youngster got caught in wires obscured in a flooded Spring Valley street Sunday afternoon. He says the child had to be taken by land with a police escort to the hospital because helicopters were grounded. It took 20 minutes to get the child there.

Levine says the child's father was treated for burns at another hospital and released. The victims' names were not released. Levine says the child was 4 or 5 years old.

Spring Valley is about 30 miles northwest of Manhattan.

Tropical Storm Irene: Latest developments
Hurricane Irene tracker
Complete CBS News Coverage: Hurricane Irene

* * *

In Princeton, New Jersey, a volunteer firefighter was critically injured after being swept up in flooding during a water rescue.

In a press conference Gov. Rich Christie mistakenly said the firefighter was dead; but it was later found that the firefighter was still alive, although in critical condition.

Princeton Township Police Sgt. Michael Cifelli told the Newark Star-Ledger the city would not identify the victim aside from saying he is a 39-year-old volunteer with First Aid & Rescue, a group independent of the fire department.

The volunteer firefighter was swept away by flood waters while attempting a rescue of a submerged car in Stoney Brook near Rosedale Lane in Princeton Township.

* * *

Two kayakers are safe and sound after being rescued from rough waters on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire were being churned up by high winds from the remnants of Hurricane Irene.

Officials they responded to a call at about 2 p.m. Sunday and found a kayak floating in about 3 to 4 feet of chop with a man aboard and a woman swimming next to the craft.

Officials say they took 27-year-old Jon Brady and 28-year-old Rebecca Witinok-Huber, of Boulder, Colo., and their kayak to shore. Nobody was injured.

* * *

Would you like to share the story of a hero in the storm? Post a comment below.

View CBS News In
CBS News App Open
Chrome Safari Continue
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.