Having fun in the sun is not always kind to your skin or hair. Exposure to the sun, salt, and chlorine can leave your hair and skin dry and rough.
But the latest issue of Glamour magazine has great solutions to repair your skin and hair.
Deputy editor Alison Brower visits The Saturday Early Show to offer some tips and solutions.
There are several causes of damage. Hair gets burned from the sun, as well as dry and brittle from salt water and chlorine. The elements also strip hair of essential oils and fade its color. Blow drying and styling can also damage it.
Key ingredients you should look for when buying shampoos and conditioners:
Here are three items to check out:
- BEACH BLONDE COOL DIP SHAMPOO ($6) -It removes chlorine and has aloe - it's very good for colored hair.
- REDKEN SUN SHAPE SHAMPOO ($8) – It has oils, sunscreens (also great for colored hair), and removes chlorine and salt residue
- MATRIX DEEP MOISTURE MASK ($14.95) - It has shea butter for deep conditioning; use one to two weeks. Masks are great for your hair because they provide moisture and help control frizzy hair.
The following styling products are low in alcohol, which can be drying. Look for products with sunscreen.
- KERASTASE AFTER SUN 4 COLOR HAIR SERUM ($30) - It protects, repairs colored hair, and has vitamin E
- NEUTROGENA TRIPLE MOISTURE STYLING PRODUCT WITH UV FILTERS ($7) - It has oils, adds moisture, and has no alcohol
- AVEDA BRILLIANT DAMAGE CONTROL SPRAY($14) - It prevents breakage and protects from sun damage (tea and aloe)
Hands and Nails:
Your hands and nails take quite a bit of abuse from the sun, sand, chlorine, and water. The skin on your hands tends to be thin and therefore more vulnerable. Your hands easily show your age, so take care to apply sunscreen because not only will the sun dry your hands, it also creates sun spots faster than on your face.
Key Ingredients for hands:
A few products that Glamour's editors love:
- LA MER THE HAND TREATMENT ($70) - Seaweed and botanicals that intensely repair dry hands and create a type of barrier to prevent dehydration
- SALLY HANSEN AGE CORRECT RETINOL HAND CREAM ($7) - Contains collagen, grape-seed oil, vitamins A and E, and retinol
Here are key ingredients for your nails:
- ESSIE REPAIR PRODUCTS ($15 each) - Offers three steps, depending on your needs: One repairs weak nails (AHA's); one moisturizes, and one maintains strong healthy nails with nutrients
- ESSIE NON YELLOWING TOPCOAT SUNBLOCK ($7) -Protects nails from yellowing and changing polish color with UV filters (that also protect from sunburn)
- Any citrus fruit will also help take the yellow out of summer-abused nails
Face and Lips:
Your face and lips are always exposed to sun and get the most sun damage, plus humidity clogs your pores and produces acne. Lips also get chapped during the hot summer months. They are very vulnerable to UV rays, so be sure to apply sunscreen to your lips.
Key Ingredients for your face:
Products that Glamour loves:
- CLINIQUE EXCEPTIONALLY SOOTHING CREAM FOR UPSET SKIN ($31) - Shea butter; soothing care to comfort and calm red or irritated skin.
- BIORE BLEMISH FIGHTING CLEANSING CLOTHS ($6.50)- Salicylic acid penetrates pores and prevents new ones; two sides: one for exfoliating and one just for cleansing
- ORIGINS SWEPT AWAY GENTLE SLOUGHER FOR ALL SKINS ($17.50) - Gentle exfoliators for your face, with aloe that also soothes
Key ingredients for your lips:
- BENEFIT LIPSCRIPTION ($28) - Dynamic two-step process: one tube that gently scrubs away chapped lips and one that plumps and hydrates lips
- KIEHLS ($5.50)- Lip balm with SPF 15 and color (it's chic and practical - repairing and great looking)
- AVEDA ($7.50) - Lip balm with SPF and color (with essential oils). Perfects if you don't want to wear lipstick, but want some color.
We're all guilty of lying out in the sun, even if it's an hour here and there. So your skin is probably suffering from sunburn, dry skin, or flaky dead skin.
Key Ingredients to look for:
Glamour's Editors love the following products:
- HEALING GARDEN MINT SOOTHING PRODUCT ($6) - Exfoliating cleanser for body; very gentle; can't use immediately after sun exposure; has aloe, so exfoliates and moisturizes at same time.
- JERGENS SOOTHING ALOE RELIEF ($5) - Use for after sun; has aloe; soothes and moisturizes.
- CLINIQUE AFTER SUN RESCUE BALM ($16.50) - Has ingredients (linoleic acid and cholesterol) that actually help minimize peeling.
- NIVEA NIGHT CREAM ($7)- Heals while you sleep; elevated skin temperature means losing moisture, but means better penetration (It's good to use lotion at night); contains vitamins.
Wearing open-toed shoes, going barefoot, or wearing flip flops could leave feet dry and cracked.
Key Ingredients to Look For:
Products Glamour loves:
- NATURAL PUMICE STONE ($2.99) - Perfect to exfoliate your dry heels. Don't forget to rinse with a disinfectant and hot water.
- JAMIE EARL PUMICE FOOT POLISH ($18) - Exfoliates, moisturizes, and protects feet by slothing off dead and dry skin, leaving you with soft feet.
- AVON FOOTWORKS MOISTURIZING CREAM ($6) - Has oils that soften, and reduce buildups of dry skin. Has peppermint.
- CALGON INTENSE MOISTURE FOOT CREAM ($6)- Tea tree oil peppermint and shea butter.
- ORIGINS REJUVENATING THE HEEL CREAM ($19.50) - This heavy cream soothes your soles with the richness of Rose Fruit and Jojoba Oils. Super-sloughing Salicylic Acid gets rid of pesky rough patches. Softening Shea Butter smoothes cracks to put your feet back on easy street. And tingly Menthol provides a refreshing kick.