Today is President Obama's 100th day in office, and we asked The Atlantic's Marc Ambinder, CBS News' chief political consultant, to grade the president's performance on a variety of policy areas. Read what he has to say, and then give the president your own grades.
The Economy: B
The government created several trillion dollars and bailed out the economy. We're stable now, but a debt crisis in, say, China, could throw the world into a depression. A work in progress.
World Affairs: A
The main foreign policy communications goal of the administration: take anti-Americanism off the table. They've done that, and quickly, in Europe and South America.
Mr. Obama got the principals to agree on a strategy and no-one resigned over it. But violence has flared up, and it's not clear whether benchmarks will be met.
A muddled strategy for a muddled country. It's the deep chasm over which the administration hangs.
Health Care: B+
By letting Congress fill in the details, Mr. Obama's incentivizing the committee chairs to get things done. And they probably will.
Energy And The Environment: B
The administration doesn't want the House to pass cap-and-trade this year – they've budgeted it for the future – and so they've lost control of the agenda a bit. Still, Mr. Obama's spending a lot more money on clean energy, green jobs and renewable resource research.
Social Issues: A
Very well finessed. The administration doesn't want to give the Republicans any social issue with which they can juice up their base.
Here's where you can provide your own grades on the topics above:
- Obama: Proud But Not Content
- Obama Urges Swine Flu "Contingency Plans"
- Obama: Info Gained Doesn't Justify Torture
- Obama: "I Don't Want To Run Auto Companies"
- Obama's "Enchanted" Answer
- Obama Hints At Change To "State Secrets" Privilege
- Watch The Full Webcast
- Huffington: Bank Bailouts Could Be Obama's "Achilles' Heel"
- Valerie Jarrett Defends Obama On CIA Memos
- Republicans Ponder: What Next?
- Americans Sound Off On Obama's 100 Days
- Photos: 100 Pictures For 100 Days
- Timeline: The Obama Presidency Day By Day
- Steve Chaggaris: 100 Days In, A Presidency Still Undefined
- Brian Montopoli: What Has Obama Meant For Black America?
- Marc Ambinder: Grading Obama's First 100 Days
- Mark Knoller: 100 Days By The Numbers
- Lara Logan: New President To Be Tested By Old Enemies
- Declan McCullagh: Obama's Transparency Vow Receives Mixed Reviews
- Jessica Derschowitz: The "Obama Effect" In Pop Culture
- Around The Web: What The Media Are Saying
- Chart: 100 Days In The Stock Market
- Word Cloud: President Obama's Words
- Polls: Obama | Race Relations | Torture | Same Sex Marriage | Our Poll, Your Questions | Video: Polling Director
- Complete 100 Days Coverage
Obama's Press Conference:
CBSNews.com's 100 Days Webcast With Katie Couric:
Recap, Analysis & Reaction: