Fugitive Adam Mayes Dead: Alexandria and Kyliyah Bain, kidnapped sisters, are safe, officials say

In this photo made from surveillance video and released by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, Adam Mayes, 35, stands in front of the counter at a convenience store on April 30, 2012 in Union County, Miss., about three days after Jo Ann Bain and her daughters disappeared. Authorities say Mayes abducted Bain and her three daughters. Bain and her oldest daughter were found dead. The two younger girls are still missing.
Jo Ann Bain, Adam Mayes
Jo Ann Bain, 31, and 35-year-old Adam Mayes.
AP Photo/Mississippi Dept. of Public Safety

(CBS/AP) GUNTOWN, Miss. - Adam Mayes, the man wanted by the FBI for killing Tennessee mother Jo Ann Bain and her oldest daughter and kidnapping  two other girls shot himself to death as officers closed in, but  the two children were rescued and released from a hospital Friday.

Pictures: Missing Tenn. mom and daughter found dead

Authorities who tracked the 35-year-old to a wooded area Thursday evening said they repeatedly ordered him to surrender, but he pulled out a pistol and shot himself in the head.

Mayes was pronounced dead and sisters Alexandria Bain, 12, and Kyliyah Bain, 8, were rescued. This ended a nearly two-week search that began when Jo Ann Bain and her three daughters disappeared from their Tennessee home April 27.

After getting a tip, law enforcement officers were sent to search a densely wooded area west of Mayes' home in Guntown, Miss., said Aaron T. Ford, special agent in charge of the FBI's Memphis, Tenn., office.

At 6:50 p.m. Thursday, an officer saw Alexandria Bain in an area about 100 yards behind a church, Ford said. Officers shouted commands for Mayes to show his hands, Ford said. But Mayes pulled a semiautomatic pistol from his waistband and shot himself in the head, Ford said.

Law enforcement officers moved in to rescue the two girls, who were lying on the ground nearby. Ford said they looked like they had been in the woods for two or three days and were suffering from exposure, dehydration and poison ivy but they were otherwise safe.

Sara Burnett, a spokeswoman for Le Bonheur Children's Hospital in Memphis, said the two girls were treated and released early Friday. Burnett didn't have details on their conditions and didn't know who picked them up.

Mayes had been charged with first-degree murder in the April 27 deaths of Jo Ann Bain, 31, and her daughter, Adrienne Bain, 14. Their bodies were found buried outside Mayes' home a week after they were reported missing by Jo Ann Bain's husband.

Mayes' wife, Teresa, is also charged in the deaths. She is facing six felony counts in the case: two first-degree murder charges and four especially aggravated kidnapping charges. She told investigators that after she saw her husband kill the two in the garage at the Bain home. She then drove him, the younger girls and the bodies to Mississippi, according to affidavits filed in court.

Meanwhile, Adam Mayes' mother, Mary Mayes, also has been charged with conspiracy to commit especially aggravated kidnapping. Mary Mayes' attorney, Somerville attorney Terry Dycus, said his client maintains she is not guilty.

Authorities refused to comment on the motive for the slayings and abductions.