Watch CBSN Live

English Channel Swimmer Dies At 98

Gertrude Ederle, who battled rip tides, cross currents, driving rain and mountainous seas to become the first woman to swim the English Channel and strike a blow for women's rights, has died.

Ederle died Sunday at the Christian Health Care Center in Wyckoff, N.J., about 25 miles northwest of New York City, said Martin Ward, whose wife is one of Ederle's 10 surviving nieces and nephews. She was 98.

Ederle was 20 when she made her historic swim on Aug. 6, 1926, navigating the choppy, treacherous channel under the constant threat of floating debris, poisonous jellyfish and sharks.

She left Cape Griz-Nez, France, at 7:05 a.m. and stumbled ashore at Kingsdown, England, 14 hours and 30 minutes later. Only five men had succeeded in swimming the channel before her, and she beat the record by more than two hours.

Because of the stormy weather, she had swum 35 miles in crossing the 21-mile-wide channel. Yet her time for the crossing stood for 24 years before it was broken in 1950 by Florence Chadwick, who negotiated 23 miles in 13 hours and 20 minutes.

"People said women couldn't swim the channel," Ederle Press in a 2001 interview marking the 75th anniversary of her feat. "I proved they could."

When she returned to America, there were celebrations, receptions and a roaring ticker-tape parade for her in New York. She met President Coolidge, was paid thousands to tour in vaudeville, played herself in a movie ("Swim, Girl, Swim") and had a song and a dance step named for her.

During some of the toughest moments during the swim, her trainer, fearful of her well-being, tried to get her to give up, "but I'd just look at him and say, `What for?"' Ederle recalled.

At the ticker-tape parade, the crowds shouted, "Hello, Miss What-For!"

"I thought it was marvelous, and I thought only Gertrude could have done it," another top swimmer from the era, Aileen Riggin Soule, said in a 1999 interview with The Associated Press. "She had the stubbornness."

Ederle was little affected by the fame that followed. She remained what one writer called, "an almost old-fashioned girl in a world of flappers." She eventually quit touring when the stress got too much.

Ederle was a champion swimmer before her Channel swim, holding a string of world records at various distances. At the 1924 Olympics in Paris, she was hobbled by the stress of travel and turned in a disappointing performance - by her standards - of one second-place finish, one third-place finish and a first on a relay team.

In 1925, she swam the 21 miles from the tip of Manhattan to Sandy Hook, N.J., in seven hours, 11.5 minutes, bettering the record held by men.

That same year, she made her first try at the English Channel, saying later that she failed only because a worried trainer grabbed her when she briefly began coughing. As soon as someone touched her, she was disqualified.

After giving up her personal appearance tour, Ederle fell down a flight of stairs in 1933, injuring her spine. Battling back, she returned to the spotlight at the 1939 World's Fair, swimming in a show at the famous Aquacade.

Her hearing hadn't been good since a childhood bout with the measles, and hours spent in the water aggravated the problem. By the 1940s, she was entirely deaf.

Out of the spotlight, she taught deaf children to swim - "since I can't hear either, they feel I'm one of them" - and participated in some business ventures. Giving few interviews, she lived quietly in the Queens borough for many years.

"I have no complaints," Ederle said in an interview in the 1950s. "I am comfortable and satisfied. I am not a person who reaches for the moon as long as I have the stars. God has been good to me."

By Polly Anderson

View CBS News In