Watch CBSN Live

Dog bites Denver TV anchor's face during interview

DENVER - A veteran Denver television anchor was injured Wednesday after she was bitten in the face by a dog while doing a live broadcast about a dog rescued by a firefighter.

Kyle Dyer was interviewing Michael Robinson -- the owner of an 85-pound Argentine mastiff that fell into a lake on Tuesday while chasing a coyote in the city's Lakewood area -- and firefighter Tyler Sugaski, who put on a wetsuit and rescued the dog, when the attack occurred.

According to KUSA-TV, firefighters, paramedics and animal control officials were called to the station after the attack.

The station posted a statement on its Facebook page that Dyer was "getting medical attention due to the injury" and the station was waiting to find out the extent of her injuries before issuing further information. A station spokeswoman was not available for comment.

The station showed video of Dyer petting the dog, but cut off the video before the attack and said they would not show it. A station spokeswoman did not return a call seeking comment.

Julie Lonborg, spokeswoman for Denver Health hospital, said in a statement that Dyer was in fair condition and being evaluated by a trauma team. The hospital said she was awake and visiting with family. KUSA-TV said she may go home as soon as tonight.

Megan Hughes, spokeswoman for the Denver Environmental Health department, said no decision has been made on what will happen to the dog.

"We impounded the dog as usual, and we issued a citation to the owner," Hughes said. Hughes said she did not have further details.

Doug Kelley, the director of Denver Animal Care and Control, told KUSA that the owner will be cited because the dog bit someone, for a leash law violation, and for not having Max vaccinated for rabies, although the dog shows no signs of harboring the disease.

According to the station,Max's owner, Michael Robinson, was taking the dog for a walk without a leash on Tuesday around 5:30 p.m. when the dog spotted a coyote running out of a bush.

The dog chased the coyote onto the ice and fell into the water, where the animal spent 20 minutes in the freezing water before firefighters with the West Metro Fire Department arrived.

Sugaski broke the ice with his arms to get closer to the dog.

"The dog recognized right off that I was there to help, so he came towards me," Sugaski said.

Max suffered a few scrapes from the ice, but was recovering from his ordeal. Firefighters were never able to locate the coyote.

View CBS News In