More than 3,300 adults in those areas completed the AAD's online survey, "Rays: Your Grade," in February.
Survey topics included participants' history of sun exposure and their knowledge about tanning, sunburns, skin cancer, and sun protection.
The AAD's rankings are based on the responses of residents in each location.
Here is the AAD's list. Locations that tied received the same number.
- 1. Washington, D.C.
2. New York
4. Tampa, Fla.
5. Los Angeles
7. Salt Lake City
8. San Francisco
13. Portland, Ore.
15. Providence, R.I.
18. Hartford, Conn.
18. Riverside, Calif.
21. New Hampshire
21. St. Louis
24. San Diego
Other poll results include:
- Nearly 3 in 4 participants feel that people look more attractive with a tan.
- Nearly 4 out of 5 participants are concerned about skin cancer.
- Nearly 2/3 of participants got a tan last year.
- Half of participants got sunburned at least once last year.
- Most participants (71 percent) don't use sunscreen on an average day.
By Miranda Hitti
Reviewed by Louise Chang, M.D.
© 2007, WebMD Inc. All rights reserved