Live

Watch CBSN Live

DA: DNA links fmr. Uber driver to 5 unsolved sex assaults

BOSTON -- A former Uber driver accused of sexually assaulting a woman he picked up last year has been charged in two unsolved Boston rape cases going back almost a decade.

Suffolk District Attorney Daniel Conley said Tuesday that 46-year-old Alejandro Done has been linked by DNA evidence to five sexual assaults in Boston between 2006 and 2010.

"These were vicious, violent attacks on unsuspecting women," said Conley.

A spokesman for Conley said Done has been charged with rape in attacks in July 2006 in South Boston and July 2007 on the Esplanade parkway along the Charles River, and charges are being prepared in the three other cases.

The women were always alone, and walking during the night.

"When you have victims who are so viciously assaulted like this, it's good for the victims to know we never give up," said Boston Police Commissioner William Evans.

Done pleaded not guilty in Cambridge in December to kidnapping and raping a woman he picked up after she summoned an Uber driver. He is held pending trial. In the meantime, he is expected to be arraigned this week for the new charges.