Steve Greenberg, author of Gadget Nation, rounded up new gizmos designed to make you healthier, and enable you to enjoy doing it, on The Saturday Early Show.
It's truly a hi-tech health approach at home, the office, wherever!
The following descriptions were prepared with information provided by the manufacturers
HydraBrush Express: $60 for Early Show viewers (normally $91)
• HydraBrush enables you to thoroughly and perfectly brush every surface of the teeth and massage the gums, all in 40 seconds. It's pivoting brush head self adjusts to conform to the shape and size of your teeth.
• It has unprecedented eight micro-brushes that completely surround teeth and massage gums leaving you with whiter teeth and healthier gums. The multi-micro brushes you see on the HydraBrush Express are designed to remove human error and ensure you receive proper brushing every time. As for the size and design, each one of those micro-brushes is ½ the size of the single headed brush you are forced to maneuver throughout your mouth when brushing the old fashioned way.
• The Express brush head moving at 700 to 810 strokes per minute also provides the perfect speed to effectively massage gum tissue. It's like a car wash for your mouth!
• Despite all the different types of brushes available, 80 percent of the U.S. adult population suffers from some degree of gum disease. The HydraBrush provides oral care that's fast (a-third the time) and automatic.
Available at hydrabrush.com/cbs
• Amazing indoor smart garden that grows with no dirt, mess or pesticides. Built-in plant lighting system: Full-daylight spectrum, energy efficient grow lights allow you to grow anywhere. No natural sunlight is needed.
• Plants grow in air and water using "aeroponics", advancement on hydroponics. They grow up to twice as fast as they do in soil. Aeroponic optimizing chamber: Creates a near-perfect rainforest growing environment.
• The AeroGarden lets you grow delicious fresh herbs, salad greens, vegetables, even flowers year-round in any climate. Computerized "smart" garden technology: Built-in microprocessor automatically controls the exact amount of light, nutrients and water needed for the specific plant type you are growing.
• Your food grows right on your counter, so you know it's safe. It doesn't get any more local than that.
• Herbs and lettuce are ready to harvest in three-to-four weeks and keep producing for four-to-five months.
• The new SpaceSaver 6 is about 30 percent smaller than the original AeroGarden, so it's perfect for people with tight counter space. It comes with everything you need to grow fresh Gourmet Herbs right
Heart Rate Monitor Ring: $30
• The basic concept of the HR ring is to obtain immediate feedback. The Heart Rate Monitor Ring is designed for people looking for continuous heart rate measurements and display during exercise and regular daily routines (30-250 beats per minute), it's a stopwatch, a maximum/minimum heart rate target zone and ten hour count up timer and a clock.
• Knowing how hard you're working is easy when you know your target heart rate zone. Your Target Zone guides you by keeping you at the right intensity level for your exercise or training goal. By staying in the zone, you can ensure you are losing weight and burning fat. This heart rate monitor will help you achieve your peak athletic performance while safely monitoring your heart rate and intensity of your workout.
• It's lightweight and offers continuous readings, (compared to Strapless HR Wrist Watches that require you to place a finger on a button to obtain HR readings).
• Easy to use and set up. It fits on your finger and measures your heart rate in real time. And obviously very cost effective.
OBVIOUSLY, THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR INDIVIDUALS WITH SEVERE HEART CONDITIONS.
• For office workers, the majority of the workday is spent sitting in front of a computer. The premise of this WalkStation is simply to increase movement while working, and for users to enjoy the health benefits of that movement. The WalkStation is not intended to provide a gym-style workout in the office; its purpose is not to cause users to raise their heart rates or work up a sweat.
• It is the combination of a fully integrated electric height adjustable work surface with an exclusively engineered, low-speed commercial grade treadmill.
• Allows the user to walk comfortably, burn calories, feel healthier and more energized all while accomplishing the work normally done while seated.
• The product is based on research regarding how it is metabolically more effective to add more simple movement to your day than to seek organized exercise.
• Burn over 100 additional calories per hour than when you are seated.
• Further research shows how simple movement can improve brain function, decrease stress, increase focus, increase productivity and potentially decrease health care costs.
• Obesity is a prevalent issue in today's society and a concern for businesses as it is driving up healthcare costs and driving down worker productivity.
• Test sites and studies have been very successful in producing drops in cholesterol, fasting blood sugars, blood pressure, burning calories, and increases in job satisfaction, productivity, energy, focus, and creativity all while maintaining muscle mass.
• Maximum speed is 2mph.
• Additional models are also available with a variety of work surface configurations, computer support, task lighting and organizational components to transform the work surface into a full-fledged workstation or flexible shared space.
• Manufactured by Details, a Steelcase Company out of Grand Rapids, Michigan.
OSIM iGallop Core and Abs Exerciser: $299
• OSIM iGallop is the revolutionary exerciser that can help you shape and tone your tummy, hips, seat and thighs. One of the unique things about iGallop is that it engages so many core muscle groups at once.
• The secret is in its zero-impact, tri-axial riding action. Your body automatically responds to its multidirectional movement, and this balancing engages certain muscle groups and may help improve coordination and posture. It has three levels of speed and intensity.
Exercise Ball Chair: $110
• Strengthens legs, abs and back muscles and improves posture
• Ergonomic seating system combines the core strengthening benefits of the stability ball
• Promotes active sitting while strengthening the back
STRiDA 5.0 Bicycle: $800
• The STRiDA Bicyle is compact and portable.
• It was invented in the United Kingdom as an elegant transportation alternative. Dubbed the "rolling miracle" it's the cleanest, most compact and effortless mode of urban and leisure transportation.
• Its unique triangular construction, quick fold time, greaseless rubber chain, rustproof frame, and ability to roll when folded distinguishes it from other folding bikes on the market. The genius of the triangular frame is that it can fold. In five seconds, you have a light, compact form that you can easily wheel before you, stow in a closet, load in your car or take on the train. With no external grease or oil to soil your clothes, STRiDA makes daily commuting fun and practical.
• The first completely new bicycle geometry in 95 years.
• Inside a triangular frame of lightweight aluminum, power is transferred to the rear wheels via a silent clean Kevlar belt. Now, instead of being snarled up in traffic, you can ride wherever you want, then fold up your transport and take it with you.