Christmas Terror Suspect Pleads Not Guilty

generic Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab
Last updated 6:33 p.m. ET

A plea of not guilty was entered on behalf of a young Nigerian man on Friday during his first public court appearance to face charges of trying to ignite a chemical-laden explosive on a Detroit-bound U.S. airliner on Christmas Day.

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab's arraignment was brief - lasting less than five minutes - and he spoke little. Security was tight at the downtown federal courthouse as a handful of protesters stood outside.

Meanwhile, CBS News has learned that British intelligence has confirmed perhaps the most chilling boast Abdulmutallah made to investigators after his arrest: that close to 20 other young Muslim men were being prepared in Yemen to use the same technique to blow up airliners.

CBS News Exclusive:
20 Others Trained to Blow Up Jets, Suspect Says

At least one passenger from Northwest Airlines flight 253 attended the arraignment. Hebba Aref, a Detroit area native who sat six rows behind Abdulmutallab on the plane, said she came because the attack "changed my life."

With almost 300 passengers and crew serving as eyewitnesses and with explosive residue allegedly found in the underwear of the defendant, the case against him -- at least on paper -- appears strong, reports CBS News correspondent Dean Reynolds.

"This is not an easy case to defend because this is a time when people hear every day we're at war on terror," private attorney William Swor told CBS.

Despite media speculation that Abdulmutallab's father - who alerted authorities to misgivings about his son - might be there, no relatives were in court, Reynolds said. A subdued friend attended on the family's behalf but had nothing to say as the accused terrorist went back to prison 50 miles away.

Authorities say the 23-year-old Nigerian with al Qaeda links was traveling to Detroit from Amsterdam when he tried to destroy the plane carrying nearly 300 people by injecting chemicals into a package of explosives concealed in his underwear. The failed attack caused popping sounds and flames that passengers and crew rushed to extinguish.

Special Report: The Christmas Day Terror Attack

A grand jury indicted him earlier this week on six charges. The most serious - attempting to use a weapon of mass destruction - could land Abdulmutallab in prison for life if convicted.

During Friday's arraignment, Abdulmutallab, who wore a white T-shirt, tennis shoes and a chain shackle at his ankles, stood at the podium and answered questions in English from U.S. Magistrate Judge Mark A. Randon.

He said "yes" whan asked if he understood the charges against him and said he had taken "some pain pills" after the judge inquired whether he had taken any drugs or alcohol in the past 24 hours. Abdulmutallab, who is being held at a federal prison in Milan, Mich., had been treated at a hospital for burns after the attack.

His attorneys then waived the reading of the indictment, and Randon entered the not guilty plea. It is routine practice in federal court for the defendant to allow the judge to enter a plea on his behalf rather than say anything himself.

His defense attorney, Miriam Siefer, also did not challenge the government's request to keep Abdulmutallab in pre-trial custody.

After the hearing, Aref, who drew international attention last year after being refused a seat directly behind then-presidential candidate Barack Obama at a Detroit rally because she was wearing a headscarf, said she just wanted to see Abdulmutallab again.

"It's a historic moment, and I want to be part of it," said Aref, 27, who now lives in Kuwait.

She said she wants Abdulmutallab to be "tried by the system" but also is concerned about the bigger picture.

It's the "whole ideology out there that's radical and misuses a beautiful religion," she said. "That's what needs to be dealt with and deterred. ... He's just a small part of it."

Mr. Obama considers the Christmas attack an attempted strike against the United States by an affiliate of al Qaeda. He also has said the government had information that could have stopped Abdulmutallab, but intelligence agencies failed to connect the dots.

Obama Commands Intel Community to Do Better
Obama: "We Are At War"

U.S. investigators have said Abdulmutallab told them he received training and instructions from al Qaeda operatives in Yemen. His father warned the U.S. Embassy in Nigeria that his son had drifted into extremism in Yemen, but that threat was never fully digested by the U.S. security apparatus.

FBI in Ghana to Track Abdulmutallab's Steps
Timeline of Abdulmutallab's Actions

Obama's counterterrorism adviser, John Brennan, has said Abdulmutallab would be offered a plea deal in exchange for valuable information about his contacts in Yemen and elsewhere.

After the hearing, one of his attorneys, Leroy Soles, declined to talk about the case.

"It's just too soon in the process to make any comment," Soles said at a nearby coffee shop. The date of the next hearing was not set.

Maryam Uwais, a lawyer in Nigeria, and Mahmud Kazaure, a lawyer from Maryland, told The Associated Press that they were sent by Abdulmutallab's family to observe the hearing. Neither have a role in the case, but both spoke briefly with the suspect's legal team. They declined to further comment.

Earlier in the day, authorities set up metal barricades outside the courthouse and limited foot traffic in the area. A protester stood holding a sign that read: "No U.S. Rights For Terrorists."

About 50 men and women identifying themselves as Detroit-area Muslims chanted "We are Americans" as they marched behind metal barricades outside the courthouse to denounce terrorism. About a dozen of them carried U.S. flags or signs with messages such as "Not in the name of Islam."

Four Muslims who were part of the protest performed Friday prayers in the court's small museum located on the first floor.

"We have prayer rugs outside in the car. We could have done a show for the media," protest organizer Majed Moughni said. "We're doing this for God."