Chicago cop accused of shoving gun in suspect's mouth

Chicago Police Cmdr. Glenn Evans

Chicago Police Department

CHICAGO--A Chicago police commander is accused of sticking the barrel of his service weapon in a suspect's mouth in early 2013, pressing a stun gun against the man's groin and threatening to kill him, reports CBS Chicago.

Police Cmdr. Glenn Evans, 52, was released without having to post bail Thursday. He was stripped of his police powers Wednesday after Cook County prosecutors charged him with aggravated battery and official misconduct.

CBS Chicago reports that Evans, once considered one of Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy's go-to guys, appeared in bond court Thursday afternoon.

A judge gave him a $100,000 recognizance bond, which means he was able to go free without posting bail. The judge also did not order Evans to surrender his weapon.

Evans will only have to pay the bond if he fails to show up for a future court date and a judge orders him to forfeit bail.

Evans turned himself in to the Cook County Sheriff's office around 6 a.m. Thursday. He was allowed to exit the courthouse through a rarely used door, and avoid a throng of reporters, CBS Chicago reports.

About 20 police officers showed up for Evans' bond hearing to show their support.

Prosecutors said Evans and officers under his command were on patrol on Jan. 30, 2013, when they saw a man -- identified in police reports as 24-year-old Rickey J. Williams -- holding a gun in his hand near the corner of 71st Street and Eberhart Avenue.

When they approached Williams, he ran into an abandoned house, where Evans found Williams hiding in a closet, but Williams no longer had the gun, according to prosecutors.

Evans allegedly tackled Williams, and stuck the barrel of his .45 caliber handgun "deep down" Williams' throat, then pulled out a Taser and held it to Williams' groin. While holding both weapons, Evans allegedly threatened to kill Williams and shouted, "Motherf****r, tell me where the guns are."

Prosecutors said neither Williams' arrest report nor a police incident report accused Williams of resisting arrest, or trying to disarm an officer. The reports also did not indicate any violence was used to take Williams into custody.

Williams was charged with reckless conduct, even though police did not find a gun when they arrested him. Those charges later were dropped, and Williams filed a complaint with the city's Independent Police Review Authority.

Prosecutors said the Internal Affairs Division swabbed Evans' gun for DNA and took DNA samples from Williams as part of an investigation, and the Illinois State Police Crime Lab confirmed Williams' DNA was on the gun.

Evans' attorney, Laura Morask, claimed the charges were the result of an "incredibly flawed" investigation by the Independent Police Review Authority.